Playing drums in space?

Looks like there's only one solution. Drummerworld will raise money to build a spaceship and launch wavelength into space and let him see how drumming is up there. Maybe we can finally get rid of him... remember, in space, no one can hear you flam!!

Flam? Me? Never!

(At least un-intentionally...)
(At least in my dreams...)

Pretty sure it would be impossible to do in a vacuum.

As you hit the drum, or play the kick pedal there's nothing to keep you on your stool, so you'd go flying off to orbit the moon for eternity.

But assuming the kit was secured...

You'd have to be anchored to the kit but there would be more than a few problems. In zero G, every force that you exert is instantly countered by an equal and opposite one. (This is actually always true but things like friction and gravity help us to deal with it)

So if you hit your drum, that kinetic energy would transfer back to you and you would rise off your stool a little.

You'd have to be anchored to the kit but there would be more than a few problems. In zero G, every force that you exert is instantly countered by an equal and opposite one. (This is actually always true but things like friction and gravity help us to deal with it)

So if you hit your drum, that kinetic energy would transfer back to you and you would rise off your stool a little.

The set would have to be anchored, along with you.
And your arms probably wouldn't move at full speed at zero G's.

Maybe a better question would be-How would it be like to play drums on the International Space Station ?

It has already been done, at least using sticks and pad, but before telling about it, lets look at playing out in Space, in the vacuum.

Floating zero G space drummers need to use triggered electric drums because of the aforementioned lack of air to conduct sound waves. Of course playing is made difficult by the space suit, but with special adaptations designed by NASA engineers, the fingers, wrists, and ankles would be quite nimble, and you would have had lots of mission prep back at Houston mock-up. NASA would have built a floating rack system to hold the drums secure, complete with jet pack, so you could thrash away hard, clipped in to the throne. When you break sticks you'd just toss 'em, they could become just another piece of space junk, eventually burning up on re-entry, a little flash of light visible from Earth.

Just imagine! Playing while tethered to the Space Station, floating in Space, inspired by the immensity of our beautiful blue planet, traveling 17,500 miles per hour, going around the Earth every 1.5 hours!!!

Back on board the Space Station there has been lots of music made. Guitars, electric piano, Native American flute, didgeridoo have all traveled there and been played by the astronauts. Of course they are floating in zero G so that adds a certain gaiety to playing, but sound is there in the artificial atmosphere, accompanied by the hum of machinery.

Astronaut and Shuttle Commander Jim Wetherbee, an accomplished drummer, brought drum sticks to the International Space Station. He told me that it is not so very different from playing on Earth. The sticks are secure in the hand and when you strike a surface the rebound is dictated by the same physics as on Earth, the effects of gravity are negligible. I suppose he secured his feet so he himself would not float around.

I am totally going to look up the word pedantic. I keep thinking it is some guy walking across the street. As in a Pedantic versus auto collision.

Anyway, do many people play the drums underwater? That is a medium :)

aaajn, you are a freakin' nut! Maybe that's why I really enjoy all your posts! lol

I was thinking the same thing? Does anybody here have a pool? If you do, take a crappy drum that you don't care about, and play it underwater. Please report back here immediately following.

One problem is depending on the wood used to make the drums it might actually be less dense than the water it's in even if all the air inside the drum has been displaced. Having said that the hardware would probably bring it back down anyway. But YOU might have a bit of trouble staying underwater unless you wear a weighted diving suit.

Maybe a better question would be-How would it be like to play drums on the International Space Station ?

Or-If a drum was hit in the woods and no one was around, would it make a sound?

well i guess it depends on which problem you want to look at, the lack of gravity or the lack of air? Bongo you are right, foo fighters even made a song video whilst going to the moon :p

I don't think it would make a sound because sound is just pressure waves in the air (OR OTHER MEDIUM!!!), it only becomes sound because your brain makes the vibrations of your eardrum caused by this pressure wave into a signal that you can comprehend.

Pretty sure it would be impossible to do in a vacuum.

As you hit the drum, or play the kick pedal there's nothing to keep you on your stool, so you'd go flying off to orbit the moon for eternity.

That's true but it's actually has more to do with the lack of gravity although the lack of air does have a considerable effect too, infact that's the reason the US flag waved about so much when the astronouts were fiddling about with it on the moon, contrary to what a conspiriacy theorist would tell you. But to be honest you could just secure the drums and throne onto a plate then seatbelt yourself onto the throne and teather yourself to the spaceship, you'd need some seriously strong drums to cope with the huge temperature changes, from absolute zero to about 500K as soon as the sun starts shining onto them.

Last edited:
Does anybody here have a pool? If you do, take a crappy drum that you don't care about, and play it underwater. Please report back here immediately following.

Ask John Dolmayan about that:

johndolmayan22.jpg

Lines in an alleyway blocked off at both ends would therefore be a pedantic crossing. :p

"Caution! Pedantics!"
The pedantic pedestrian moped after being outsped by the moped.

I'm starting to suspect I might win the DW Off-Topic-Member-Of-the-Month award, this time around.

So clearly, Pearl drums would sound better in space. Don't you agree?

Maple is the ONLY way to go, in space.

As a Gretsch owner I agree. The place for Pearl drums is in space.

The pedantic pedestrian moped after being outsped by the moped.

I'm starting to suspect I might win the DW Off-Topic-Member-Of-the-Month award, this time around.

What!? i didnt know there was one of those! man i need to be more off topic now...

I nominate this as one of the most asinine threads ever.

You'd have to be strapped down to play in space.

And I love the pic of Dolmayan in the pool. Priceless.

But, this is a stupid discussion. I can't believe I contributed to it.

Back