Playing drums in space?

A

Aggressivec

Dang man this the most awesome idea ever. I think it would be much harder because the drums would not be able to stay in one place. The only way it would be easier would be if YOU floated with the drum set. I don't know this is ridiculously awesome.

LTNINGFan

All I could picture when I read this was when Will Farrel did "Space: The Infinite Frontier" on Saturday Night lIve when he was impersonating Harry Carey :)

To answer your question seriously: I have no idea...If there's no air, will the drum make a sound?

SharkyBait911

Don't ya think that it would would make a great music video like red hot chilli peppers new single videoed on THE MOON !!!! it would be awesome !

Tris

fugazi

what about under water, or while falling from the empire state building maybe you could slow down your fall using your ride or something..

stasz

Platinum Member
There would be no sound cos space is a vacuum
Yeah... I don't know exactly how drums work but would they make sound without air?

Any drumming would also be totally different because there would be no gravity, so our sticks wouldn't fall downwards. Hmmm... interesting question. It hasn't been tried before has it?

eddiehimself

Platinum Member
Yeah... I don't know exactly how drums work but would they make sound without air?

Any drumming would also be totally different because there would be no gravity, so our sticks wouldn't fall downwards. Hmmm... interesting question. It hasn't been tried before has it?
Everything needs air to make a sound, it's not a question of "how it works". However if you mean could you play the drums in a minimum gravity environment then i would think it would be possible but difficult due to the aformentioned problems with the lack of gravity and sticks falling downwards.

stasz

Platinum Member
Looks like there's only one solution. Drummerworld will raise money to build a spaceship and launch wavelength into space and let him see how drumming is up there. Maybe we can finally get rid of him... remember, in space, no one can hear you flam!!

aaajn

Silver Member
So clearly, Pearl drums would sound better in space. Don't you agree?

Maple is the ONLY way to go, in space.

eddiehimself

Platinum Member
Sound needs conductive material to move -- it doesn't need to be air.
Yes well now your just being pedantic. :p I guess i wasn't thinking right when i wrote it but the point is that there are no conductive materials in space, or at least not enough to transmit a sound wave from the drum to your ear (assuming you weren't dead before you could possibly get an opportunity to even play a drum with no protective suit or vessel.

aaajn

Silver Member
Yes well now your just being pedantic. :p I guess i wasn't thinking right when i wrote it but the point is that there are no conductive materials in space, or at least not enough to transmit a sound wave from the drum to your ear (assuming you weren't dead before you could possibly get an opportunity to even play a drum with no protective suit or vessel.
I am totally going to look up the word pedantic. I keep thinking it is some guy walking across the street. As in a Pedantic versus auto collision.

Anyway, do many people play the drums underwater? That is a medium :)

T

trkdrmr

I am totally going to look up the word pedantic. I keep thinking it is some guy walking across the street. As in a Pedantic versus auto collision.

Lines in an alleyway blocked off at both ends would therefore be a pedantic crossing. :p

"Caution! Pedantics!"

805Drummer

Gold Member
I was thinking the same thing? Does anybody here have a pool? If you do, take a crappy drum that you don't care about, and play it underwater. Please report back here immediately following.

oops

Silver Member
Pretty sure it would be impossible to do in a vacuum.

As you hit the drum, or play the kick pedal there's nothing to keep you on your stool, so you'd go flying off to orbit the moon for eternity.

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
Do you think it would be harder or easier to play drums in space? Like on the moon or something.
Why don't you tell us what you think?

I think it would be very disorienting and really screw with your proprioreception (sense of where your limbs are without looking at them).

I think after a while you'd get used to it and then it would be much like playing on Earth.