playing an open hi hat stroke with left foot

Mukund

Hey everyone!

ok so i have seen many drummers play an open hi hat stroke by just using their foot.How?
Whats the technique?

Devon,
that's a great link! I also like to combine that splash & closed motion - sounds cool (but also practice continuous open splash, too).

Here's an aggressive version at uptempo by JoJo Mayer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXY4fcvM3zI
(explanation beginning at 6.30, and a terrific uptempo beat from 6.59 - this is still one of the coolest grooves I've heard on drums)

ATM (while watching the Olympics) I'm practicing at my mini kit with 2 hihat sets - left foot = 14'', right foot = I've mounted 2 bells as hihats (DIY, I have a total of 16 bells) and experiment with splash sounds on both hihats, or playing controlled patterns between both feet. Not easy... (Depending on the speed, I try to implement heel-toe/constant release and even try doing the swivel motion, haha.)

I learned to do this pretty much by accident. The best way I can describe it is as the previous person put it, I come down on the pedal more with my heel, towards the back of the pedal, keeping my toes a little up in the air, and when I want to close the hats I just bring my toes down, when I'm doing it in rapid succession it kinda looks like a rocking motion with my foot.

I find that just doing a heel-toe motion like you would on a bass pedal works.

My size 12 doesnt allow my heel to land on any pedal. Anyone work this out with more of a stomp than the heel?? Seems like the whole foot might have to land flat which might take some of the leverage out of the toe hit...

My size 12 doesnt allow my heel to land on any pedal. Anyone work this out with more of a stomp than the heel?? Seems like the whole foot might have to land flat which might take some of the leverage out of the toe hit...

Since you have bigger feet, striking the ground just behind the pedal with your heel will have the same effect, cause then the ball of your foot will hit the pedal just enough to "splash" the hats together without "chinking" them, then use your toes to close the hats.

Back