Playing along with cd

fosse

Hello,

I usally drum with a cd of a band playing trough speakers. The problem i have is that i dont hear enough the music playing against the drumming. Could someone help me out how i can play along hearing the track more specific . Thx a lott

Greets Tom ;)

A rough and ready way I did it as a youngster was to wear earplugs as hearing protection then put over ear headphones on and play the music through those. It allowed me to turn the volume of the music up to the level of the drums buy there's no way I'd have done it without hearing protection in.

Get some in-ear monitors. Playing along with a PA can be pretty damaging.

I play cd or YT vids from laptop through PA and speakers, but I listen through hearing aids that allow me to control the volume. I'd try wireless headphones you can do the same. I actually just use my right hearing aid because my left hear can barely hear so it acts like a filter and mixes it all in brain to sound like stereo-usually it sounds mono with both my aids and hearing.

You need a stereo output of more than 50 w / speaker, speakers at ear height behind you each side, wear earmuff-type protection and you’re good to go. Drums alone should sound “gated” then you know protection works.

I just use Bluetooth headphones and a matching Bluetooth send/receive device I plug into my amp. Some of those devices are better than others - I got same brand as the headsets. I paid about $75 total for both. I can turn volume down pretty low and still hear music and also my drums. Been doing it this way for many years.

I also use my computer to play YouTube videos with music I wanna practice to. A lot of jazz backing tracks with no drums at various speeds like 140-160-180. Swings with 4 bar trading. My computer already has Bluetooth so my Bluetooth headphones work with it perfectly.

A rough and ready way I did it as a youngster was to wear earplugs as hearing protection then put over ear headphones on and play the music through those. It allowed me to turn the volume of the music up to the level of the drums buy there's no way I'd have done it without hearing protection in.

I did a similar thing to mimic what you'd hear in a live setting. Worked pretty well for sure.
Get some in-ear monitors. Playing along with a PA can be pretty damaging.
This is the best way to go. Then you can set them to how you like & the in-ears will do the rest for isolation.

Go to Walmart and spend $10 on some earbuds. You are playing at home, you dont need in ear monitors. The earbuds will act just like earplugs for the drums, and you can adjust the volume of the music accordingly.

I second these! I played with a set of these for a while. They were just a little too tight for my head, but I've got a big ol' melon. I'm sure most people would be fine with these.
I use these and they do a great job. The only problem with playing along to music a lot is you'll tend to be just a bit behind. Make sure you're producing the hit on time and not "copying" it. It's very subtle but an easy trap to fall into.

I just use Bluetooth headphones and a matching Bluetooth send/receive device I plug into my amp. Some of those devices are better than others - I got same brand as the headsets. I paid about $75 total for both. I can turn volume down pretty low and still hear music and also my drums. Been doing it this way for many years.

I also use my computer to play YouTube videos with music I wanna practice to. A lot of jazz backing tracks with no drums at various speeds like 140-160-180. Swings with 4 bar trading. My computer already has Bluetooth so my Bluetooth headphones work with it perfectly.
Who makes the Bluetooth dongle (from 1/4" headphone jack)? I'm constantly getting my headphone cable caught between my arm and my side and it drives me crazy LOL.

For rock, I was using an h4n pro with ultraphones. You just run your phone through it and you can mix the drums against the source music.
For speakers, you could also try muffling all your drums with moon gels or towels to bring the levels down.

Who makes the Bluetooth dongle (from 1/4" headphone jack)? I'm constantly getting my headphone cable caught between my arm and my side and it drives me crazy LOL.
I got my headset and dongle from Amazon. Avantree is name of manufacturer. I also ordered a simple jack converter the male is 1/4" plus into amp and other end dongle plugs into is micro size.

Taotronics make a solid one about the size of a matchbook.
Latency has me a little hesitant to pull the trigger.

2.4GHz wireless headphones though might do the trick (but I'd have to buy the matched 2.4GHz headphones):

Latency has me a little hesitant to pull the trigger.

2.4GHz wireless headphones though might do the trick (but I'd have to buy the matched 2.4GHz headphones):

In my situation, the latency isn't relevant. I just use it for audio. I don't care if the Spotify (or whatever) timer is slightly out of sync with what's being played. It could be five minutes late, as long as I'm getting the audio, I'm good. Well, five minutes would be annoying actually. :unsure:

Hello,

I usally drum with a cd of a band playing trough speakers. The problem i have is that i dont hear enough the music playing against the drumming. Could someone help me out how i can play along hearing the track more specific . Thx a lott

Greets Tom ;)

Also, tons of drumless tracks are available on the internet,

For me.. (before I got drum mics) I use the Vic firth over the ear headphones. For one, they make your drums sounds insanely good and 2, they sound always mixed with the music when you play through the headphones from your Phone/Stereo/computer

If you have a mixer, you could take the headphone out of the music device and connect to the mixer input. Headphones 🎧 plugged into mixer.

Back