Playing along to songs

stabmasterarson

I'm having problems playing along to songs because I can't get enough volume in my headphones to actually hear the songs.

How do you guys get the volume loud enough to play along with songs? My kit totally drowns out what I'm trying to play to. I use 150$ audiotechnica studio phones, a little headphone mixer and an Ipod. I'm wearing earplugs under the phones

AngelOreo

I have noise canceling headphones.. they seem to work well with the volume up on my Ipod.. You can get a decent pair pretty cheap.. You can also try plain ear buds that fit snug along with some noise protectors from Home Depot etc..they do OK with the ear buds..

Fiery

Silver Member
+1. How can you honestly expect to hear a thing with earplugs in underneath headphones? Get rid of the plugs dude. It will do wonders.
It will do wonders all right if you find hearing loss and tinnitus wonderful.

Plugs attenuate all noise, both the drums and the music. If he takes them out, he'll just get more noise, but the drums will still be louder than the music in his headphones.

Drummist222's solution is what I normally use, except there's no need to spend money on Vic Firth isolation phones. Any industrials head muffs will do the trick.

Toby_Jackson

except there's no need to spend money on Vic Firth isolation phones. Any industrials head muffs will do the trick.
Exactly - throw a set of those cans over the earbuds and problem solved. You won't need to turn up the music very loud and the kit will sound muffled underneath it.

There's something to be said for just trying to play quietly enough to hear the music - a great exercise that helps my dynamics is to play your recording through a regular stereo into the room, and then try to match your volume to the recording. If you play smaller rooms, you'll understand that maximum volume isn't always possible, and you'll want to have just as much control at quiet and medium dynamics.

stabmasterarson

I had a credit at the music shop so I used it to get the vic firth isolation phones, what a difference. Can't believe I didn't know that before I bought the more high end studio phones.