Playing a new genre....nice change

jimb

Guy called me said he needs a drummer for an "Americana", rock band whatever that is. I get the tunes and its all Down By the Water, In the Meantime., Dead Flowers - that kind of stuff.

Over the decades I've done the blues thing, funk thing, jazz and soul thing but never this ..."Thang"! What a breath of fresh air, really enjoyable. I've never played with mandolin and slide before.....huge fun and some nice lazy 1 and 3 on the floor grooves along the way.

Feel like I've had an overhaul, a clean out so to speak....anyone else know the feeling?

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Guy called me said he needs a drummer for an "Americana", rock band whatever that is. I get the tunes and its all Down By the Water, In the Meantime., Dead Flowers - that kind of stuff.

Over the decades I've done the blues thing, funk thing, jazz and soul thing but never this ..."Thang"! What a breath of fresh air, really enjoyable. I've never played with mandolin and slide before.....huge fun and some nice lazy 1 and 3 on the floor grooves along the way.

Feel like I've had an overhaul, a clean out so to speak....anyone else know the feeling?
The lazy grooves are great because no one is trying to musically say "LOOK AT ME!".

Just playing the song without trying to be cool...I love seeing that.

Jml

Nice! I think trying something new is always worthwhile. May find out you love it.

johnwesley

Silver Member
I love playing different stuff. Big Band, Country, Jazz, Rock, even Classical. Have a 150 watt stereo system in my studio and Ipod has 1800 songs on it. Sometimes I just set it to play A to Z and I never know what's up next. Could be David Allan Coe, Artie Shaw, Beethoven, The Who, James Brown back to back. Keeps me on my toes for sure.

Mongrel

Silver Member
It is a good gig... I did a similar thing with an original duo for two years, and occasionally play with them still. As 'simple' as it is, it can still be a challenge to find the right balance between over\under playing, dynamics, feel, etc.

Great thing about it is that it is (usually) built around a lyrical story. Once you get the drift of the story you can really narrow your playing down to support it.

Good luck, and don't forget to post some clips of your gigs.

jimb

It is a good gig... I did a similar thing with an original duo for two years, and occasionally play with them still. As 'simple' as it is, it can still be a challenge to find the right balance between over\under playing, dynamics, feel, etc.
Its the mandolin and slide that have got me really. Its brought a freshness to my playing which years of guitars and piano can't seem to match. And your right about dynamics too...Ive even resorted to brushes on a couple of tunes....s'all good.