Playback system

oldmetalhead

I want to start using a playback system with my videos. Where do I find free tracks I can play to and what kind of playback system do I need, for example MP3 player and ear buds?

danondrums

When you say "playback" do you also mean recording?
I have two recording rigs for this purpose.

Hand Unit - Tascam DR-40X - hand held 4 track recorder with 2 built in mics. I plug stereo tracks into the unit and set it to record the stereo tracks as well as from the room mics. This unit comes with me to rehearsals and gigs too. Super handy.

Larger Unit - Tascam Model 24 - 22 track mixer/multi-track recorder/DAW interface. My studio has a mic'd kit for making polished recordings. This unit is incredibly powerful for the $. I can record to an on-board SD card or use it as a DAW interface and run straight into Ableton Live.

Then I just load the tunes into itunes and listen/review.

oldmetalhead

I guess I need to clarify this a bit. I want to be able to listen to a music track that doesnt have drum. Play the track while listening in ear buds and record the drums, then dub the music track in later. If more clarification is needed let me know. I think you have a great set up dandodrums.

danondrums

Gotcha - That's what I assumed.
Either of my suggestions will do the job for sure each with their own advantages/disadvantages.
There are literally hundreds, if not thousands of permutations to accomplish this.

I do a good number of cover play alongs and I don't mind the original drum tracks staying in there so I don't know about drumless tracks.

I love the hand-unit 4 track option for being able to go with me anywhere and record anything. The mics are nice enough that the quality is pretty good. I also love my home studio version where I can make a very polished recording... Just depends on goals.

lefty2

Platinum Member
I've been buying music without drums from Karaoke Version. Seems like the songs are about $2 can't remember for sure. They don't have everything but they have a lot of popular songs in just about every genre. I use the custom version and can control the volume of all the instruments in the song. Also once you buy them they're yours you can keep going back as many times as you want and making adjustments and downloading them again and again for free.

oldmetalhead

Are the ones on youtube free to use? Can you play to them and put them back on youtube or do you need to buy them? Also where do you buy them?

K Chez

There are a lot of drumless track sites - some are ok, some really awful, but the best one I've found if heavy rock/metal is your thing is Minus Drums. Some free stuff, but the pay stuff is really inexpensive for what you get and there's a lot of original music and a good amount of covers. Also, it's broken up into various genres with a lot of metal variants (djent, extreme metal, symphonic metal) I've had a lot of fun taking the tracks apart and rearranging them to help with learning more complex songs.

Minus Drums