Playback help needed

beatdat

Group picked up a Soundcraft Signature 22MTK mixer, which we have connected to a new MacBook Pro laptop.

We only have one cable connected from the mixer to the laptop: a square USB from the mixer's REC channel to the USB hub connected to the laptop. This cable sends the signals passing through the mixer to the laptop for recording.

Recording works fine, but we can't playback our recordings through the PA system. The laptop output is set to the mixer (our mixer is recognized by the laptop), and the Interval Mute button (which is used for playback) on the mixer is activated, but nothing is coming through the PA.

PA works fine as monitors when practicing or recording, but playback from the computer is not working.

Some in the group think the one USB cable we have connected from the mixer to the laptop can be used for playback. Others don't.

I'm thinking we need a second connection to facilitate playback, and that is a USB-RCA cable, in order to send the sound from the computer to the mixer and then the PA.

Here is a link to the Soundcraft Signature 22MTK User Guide.

And here is a photo of CH 21/22 with the USB REC output we use to send the signals to the computer; just above the USB REC output are the RCA inputs I'm thinking we need to use in order to facilitate playback:

21:04:30 DW Sig 22 MTK.png

Any insight, please? We're getting frustrated with having to listen to our recordings through the laptop speakers when we have all this equipment at hand.

Thanks.

johnjssmith

A second cable like the one you're describing would be a second audio interface, which wouldn't necessarily work depending on your audio drivers if you're on windows.

At any rate, are you pressing the "USB RTN" on the channels you want to use for the incoming audio from the laptop, and sending the signal out from the laptop to the corresponding channels in your DAW, as described in the instructions manual?
For example, you press the USB RTN button on channels 21 and 22 on the mixer, then in the DAW you set the master bus output to ch.21 and 22, and you should get the signal from the laptop in ch.21 and 22 on the mixer.

beatdat

A second cable like the one you're describing would be a second audio interface, which wouldn't necessarily work depending on your audio drivers if you're on windows.

At any rate, are you pressing the "USB RTN" on the channels you want to use for the incoming audio from the laptop, and sending the signal out from the laptop to the corresponding channels in your DAW, as described in the instructions manual?
For example, you press the USB RTN button on channels 21 and 22 on the mixer, then in the DAW you set the master bus output to ch.21 and 22, and you should get the signal from the laptop in ch.21 and 22 on the mixer.

I am pressing the "USB RTN" button on CH21/22, but I don't think I'm "sending the signal out from the laptop to the corresponding channels in the DAW" because, currently, I don't think we're using a real DAW, just the basic A/V recording software that came with the MacBook Pro (which, if I recall, is Photo Booth). We plan on getting a decent DAW soon, but need to figure this out first.

Referring to the Soundcraft Signature MTK Recording Guide (not the User Guide I linked to in my original post), it appears that we have to setup and assign the mixer/channels for playback through the "Audio MIDI Setup" first (see pg. 9 of the Soundcraft Signature MTK Recording Guide). Guess I'll give that a shot next and see how it goes.

Thanks for your help.

johnjssmith

Sure thing.

Photo boot is likely inconvenient for this, you may want to tell the owner of the laptop to install garageband, which I think is still free, and easily choose the output channels using that.
Worst case scenario, since a simpler software will likely use ch.1 and 2 as outputs, you can move everything to the right by two channels and use the USB RTN function on the first two channels.

rhumbagirl

I'm not a Reaper DAW user - or a Soundcraft user either - but I did look at the manual the OP referenced. It appears, at least in Reaper, the user has to make a lot of settings before playback through the Soundcraft mixer can happen. I'm wondering if this is something Soundcraft/Reaper considers as part of post-processing, long after the musicians have left and gone home. Otherwise, if I'm mixing with the Soundcraft, and recording with a DAW to hard drive - and I'm doing so during the recording session - I think I'd just want to listen to some monitor speakers connected to the laptop via USB hub (or even headphone jack if the macbook has one). Of course, regardless of which DAW you use, I believe one always has to uncheck the RECORD button during playback.

You should be able to record a take and then immediately play it back with one or two button clicks.

rhumbagirl

Reaper's routing matrix (pretty cool stuff):

Screen Shot 2021-05-02 at 2.25.21 PM.png

Step (3) on page 11:

Screen Shot 2021-05-02 at 2.33.15 PM.png

beatdat

Photo boot is likely inconvenient for this, you may want to tell the owner of the laptop to install garageband, which I think is still free, and easily choose the output channels using that.
We are using PhotoBooth for a couple of reasons:

1. We are using the hardware we bought recently to record church services, so we are recording both audio and video. At this time, PhotoBooth allows to do that; and
2. We have only purchased hardware so far (the Soundcraft mixer and the MacBook Pro laptop mentioned above).

The MacBook Pro came with Garage Band installed, but, before we look into the separate audio, video and presenter software we'll eventually need, we're trying to get things up and running first.

Otherwise, if I'm mixing with the Soundcraft, and recording with a DAW to hard drive - and I'm doing so during the recording session - I think I'd just want to listen to some monitor speakers connected to the laptop via USB hub (or even headphone jack if the macbook has one). Of course, regardless of which DAW you use, I believe one always has to uncheck the RECORD button during playback.
Routing the sound out of the computer through monitors connected to the laptop may work, but it's not a possibility for us at the moment. The amps and speakers we have are connected to the mixer, which is being used, not only send the signals to the laptop for recording purposes, but to also monitor the sounds and provide music/audio to the church during the services while recording.

You should be able to record a take and then immediately play it back with one or two button clicks.
That is exactly what we're trying to do, but are unable to figure out at this time.

As I mentioned in my second post, I think I may have to configure the Audio MIDI setup first, which is something I only found out yesterday.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll see how it goes when I have everything in front of me next time I go back to the church.