Placing a date on my Granstars

HOUSTON 94

So, I recently bought a Granstar shell pack (with some hardware) off of Craigslist. I was wondering if there is any way I could get a timeframe of when they were produced such as the serial numbers or any differences among the different years of Granstar. thanks for any help

Thanks man! I really appreciate it.

No problem.. If you go into that master file for the Tama Catalogs.. you can see there were a few different versions of the Granstar along with Granstar Custom, Granstar II, and the first version called Crestar which they quickly changed to yours.. Granstar.

Wow! I've never actually looked throught the catalogs. So, were the Granstars like the bottom line drums of the time?

Oh, sweet! I got an 8-12-14-16 set for $300 plus some iffy hardware. I say iffy because it has a Pearl clamp for the 8" tom that seems kind of wobbly, and only 1 of the 3 crash stands is functioning properly. But it has a really heavy duty Tama boom stand with a counter weight, a DW5000 pedal and hihat stand, and a beat up DW throne. I'm not complaining haha. The only downside is having to order the heads seperately instead of in one of those pre-organized packs, but that is no biggie.

Really good, actually. The wrap does show some signs of age, being 20+ years old, but really the only scrapes are on the bass hoops. I'm ordering heads today, and throughout next week I am going to try to clean them up really well and maybe lube up the lugs.

Nice score,I think the granstars were some of tamas best drums,The Maple Artstars took over as top the flagship line,and are nice kits,but I always thought tamas birch drums were better sounding to my ears.Check out the warm tone of the drums on Stevie Ray Vaughans first two albums,Chris Layton was playing granstars I do believe.

i got a set of Granstars in Cherry Rose finish when they were first introduced in 1986 -- 22/16/14/12.

sold them back in '91 when i got my Mapex Orion kit. a few years ago when i went to my local drum shop the set was there for sale from the guy i originally sold them too.

Back