Pitch Black Sighting!

joshisaces

Gold Member
I was watching a Motley Crue Concert on TV and there I saw Tommy Lee with a FULL set of pitch blacks! I knew Zildjian probably encourages some artists to take pictures with them but to actually play in a HUGE venue live with them?!

It was the craziest thing. Has anyone seen travis barker actually use them live?

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
I saw that too.
Travis's kit at Namm had a full set of them, but he hasn't been playing out yet, so who knows if he is going to use them on the new Blink tour.
Vik Foxx from the Veronicas is touring with them, I saw a recent video on youtube and he had a full set as well.

Here's the thing. The 22" Ride, the 20" Crash/Rides and the 15" Mastersound Hihats are passable. But everything else is a clunky sounding zbt. I mean, if Zildjian gave me a set, yeah, I would use them. But they haven't, so im not.

razorx

Platinum Member
I saw that too. You can also see how his "40 inch kick" is set up too if you pause it and look. I have the whole show on DVD. There are parts of the show where it looks like he is using his regular K's Z's and A's but they claim that the show was shot all in one night. There is also footage on the DVD that shows him playing on other shows on the same tour and you can clearly tell that they are not pitch blacks. Motley played on Jimmy Kimmel last month i believe and he was using his regular gear.

joshisaces

Gold Member
I saw that too. You can also see how his "40 inch kick" is set up too if you pause it and look. I have the whole show on DVD. There are parts of the show where it looks like he is using his regular K's Z's and A's but they claim that the show was shot all in one night. There is also footage on the DVD that shows him playing on other shows on the same tour and you can clearly tell that they are not pitch blacks. Motley played on Jimmy Kimmel last month i believe and he was using his regular gear.
Yeah that kick was HUGE!
Maybe after that show he got sick of them.

razorx

Platinum Member
I'm pretty sure that he was just using them because zildjian told him to use them to promote them. He is one of their biggest rock artist next to Travis Barker.

joshisaces

Gold Member
I'm pretty sure that he was just using them because zildjian told him to use them to promote them. He is one of their biggest rock artist next to Travis Barker.
Yeah, I'm sure they would tell him to take pictures with them, but to play in front of 20,000 people with those zxts painted black is just crazy.

oops

Silver Member
Once you hit a certain venue size the sound become ridiculously hard to control.

It could be that it's a big enough enviroment that the difference between an A and a ZBT is barely noticeable. (particularly for a public who are there to sing along and watch the show, rather than discuss the sound quality of the drummer's cymbals).

I saw The Police in a stadium last year, and the difference between crashes (or splashes) IS noticeable, but NOT overly so.

Just my $0.02.

joshisaces

Gold Member
Once you hit a certain venue size the sound become ridiculously hard to control.

It could be that it's a big enough enviroment that the difference between an A and a ZBT is barely noticeable. (particularly for a public who are there to sing along and watch the show, rather than discuss the sound quality of the drummer's cymbals).

I saw The Police in a stadium last year, and the difference between crashes (or splashes) IS noticeable, but NOT overly so.

Just my $0.02.
haha wow! That definitely makes sense. In a situation like that, I guess it would get pretty loud. I've been to countless numbers of shows and most of them are just too loud to get quality sound.

frank0072

Gold Member

Just my $0.02.
I totally agree with you. Make that $0.04

Drumming_Cowboy

I actually saw T live with the Crue. It wasnt until the end of the show and the house lights came up that I noticed he was using Pitch Blacks. I would've never know had I not seen that. They sounded just like any other cymbals during the show. However, I have wondered if Zildjian "Artists" are using a custom version like maybe Black "A's or K's" So that it "appears" they use the PB's so kids will buy em up. Of course, the A's or K's would still have an altered sound but anyway.....just a thought.

JENGLISH817

Even though Pitch Blacks are discontinued, Zildjian still has them on their website. Obviously these are crappy cymbals, but I couldn't help but find humor in the descriptions of the cymbals sounds. My favorite is the 18in china. This is directly from the Zildjian website; "The wide flange of this beast produces a powerful "bark" that hits like a Kung Fu master." When I play a groove with this cymbal it sounds more like aloud "clunk" with every hit, similar to the sound a large drunk person falling down the stairs and breaking things/knocking things off the walls everytime he hits the ground.

Last edited:

joshisaces

Gold Member
Even though Pitch Blacks are discontinued, Zildjian still has them on their website. Obviously these are crappy cymbals, but I couldn't help but find humor in the descriptions of the cymbals sounds. My favorite is the 18in china. This is directly from the Zildjian website; "The wide flange of this beast produces a powerful "bark" that hits like a Kung Fu master." When I play a groove with this cymbal it sounds more like aloud "clunk" with every hit, similar to the sound a large drunk person falling down the stairs and breaking things/knocking things off the walls everytime he hits the ground.
hahaha very well put! I can picture that.

Worst china I've ever heard.

joshisaces

Gold Member
Yes it is. I'm very embarrassed about my impulse spending...
hahah you have it? Dangggg. I feel bad for you.

Last year, I was uninformed about cymbals, and wanted a new crash, so I got a 14" ZBT cause it was the cheapest. Big mistake right? You'd think so, BUT, I bought it for like $50 bucks and ended up selling it for $55 ;)

It's like someone paid me $5 to own and use the cymbal for a year. hahha

basscase

I have a friend that bought the entire set of Blacks and after a few weeks of playing the black paint has chipped off the edges of the crash cymbals. They now look terrible, but the ride and hats don't sound too bad. The china and splash is another story....

JENGLISH817

I have a friend that bought the entire set of Blacks and after a few weeks of playing the black paint has chipped off the edges of the crash cymbals. They now look terrible, but the ride and hats don't sound too bad. The china and splash is another story....
Really? Ive been playin on them almost everyday since February and mine haven't chipped at all.

mlaugh

Zidjian............. there is a lot to choose from. But as you know not everyone can afford the high end cast cymbals when they just need a cymbal for replacement or whatever............I know I can't

In the sheet line there are some differences.

Zbt -----the entry cymbal...........they really dont sound very good but OK for a beginer.
Zxt ---- some changes and more choices and some what of an improvement
Zht ---- the high end sheet cymbal line using 12% tin opposed to 8% as above.
These sound pretty good. I have a pair of the mastersound hats. The guys that I jam with say they sound very good. ...............so thats my .02

.altamont.

To me, it just sounds like a "marketing thing"
I wouldn't be surprised if Tommy Lee had special custom made Pitch Black Cymbals. Or else, black painted A's. Just so that when people would see this, they would go "if Tommy plays this, then it must be good".

It has been done in the past in different cases, for example in the snowboarding industry. I used to work in a snowboard shop and got to know how some things works. You'll see pictures in magazines of the pros using a type of board with a specific graphic, so that you would recognized the type of board. But, in reality the board is a completely different one, only printed like the other one they would like you to buy.

Mark-e-thing!