Pingy Rides vs. Washy Rides

Such an old one, like for example Weckl etc used at the end of the 80's when K-custom was just a (18, 20 and 22 inch i think) cymbal within the K-series and not specific a 'K-custom ride'..?

If yes, what would you say at this moment is the cymbal that comes most close to that one..?

Just a 'K-custom ride' or another one..?

Like this one? I've had this one for quite a while.

Attachments

• 20180620_180519-768x1024.jpg
    20180620_180519-768x1024.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 640
Exactly..!

What would be at this moment the cymbal within the K-custom series that comes the most close to that one..?

For the OP I typically have more than one, if not all, rides on gigs plus hats. My favourite in-betweener is a 20 K Custom Dark Ride. The pic above is my other mainstay, a 20" K Custom (no ride distinction) for a clear stick sound.

As far as which current offering resembles the pic I posted I am not sure. I could be wrong, but I think this is a first production K Custom 20. The concentric hammering has more spacing than others I've seen.
It has a great stick sound and an almost gong-like wash, in a great way, that sounds lower than what one would think it would produce. You can vary the amount of wash depending on your stick placement. When you get closer to the edge it's like riding in a Panzer. It has a wonderful low-end cushion. The crash is massive, but not one I would recommend for a crash/ride. Bow shanks are particularly pleasing to the soul. The bell is cutting but not too high pitched.

I have to use a fairly washy one because I need to crash it too. I used to think that ride had to equal 'ping', but that's not necessarily true for what I do. If I have a heavier ride that pings great and I need to go "Merseybeat" during songs, the ping-y ride will won't wash enough at softer volumes and it'll sound like a plate.

Hmmmm .... I think ping and wash are not mutually exclusive. For example, my 22" A medium ride has so much real estate that i can find one or the other, or both, depending on where or how I hit it.

Crashable with a big of ping for me. Wash isn't so important.

I've only got my istanbul mehmet samatya ride at the moment, it's ok, nothing to shout about, but it does the job. Bell is a bit small a dull and could do with a bit more ping, maybe would be better if it was bigger.

I really wish I hadn't sold my Sabian Alan White sig ride, loved that thing, it was perfect. What I've got now is very similar to my old AAX Stage ride, which I ended up using as a crash. This might go the same way in time.

Hmmmm .... I think ping and wash are not mutually exclusive. For example, my 22" A medium ride has so much real estate that i can find one or the other, or both, depending on where or how I hit it.

Sometimes they are mutually exclusive if you have a ride that only pings (like a Sabian pro for example)

I like a good amount of ping. But the ping needs too be dark and weighty, so I hate those Mega Bells and other heavy "Rock" rides.

My main ride is the K Dark Medium 22" which has great ping but isn't totally uncrashable either. If space allows, I set up my 20" K Ride above it for crash/ride duties!

For me, if a cymbal doesn't have a good, pleasant undercurrent of wash that can be brought to the forefront quickly,
I might as well be playing a solid chunk of metal or a tabletop.

I've never run across a cymbal yet that I can't get some type of ping sound from it.
But many aren't capable of a wash that gently massages your ears - ha ha.

I think a wash that contains a spread of overtones that work well together is most of what you're paying for when you buy a cymbal.

After listening back to the gig we did last week (my first since 2004 and first with these cymbals) I've decided I need my ride to be a bit heavier, still a bit shimmery, especially if I ride the edge, but there was hardly any audible definition when the band was going through the PA. My 16" crash was pretty much lost too, so I think I'm going to promote all of cymbals to my right anti clockwise, and find a new new ride and space for the 16" somewhere else or relegate it to use at quieter gigs.

I like a bit of both. It all depends on what the song calls for.

I alternate mostly between a 21" Sabian AA Dry Ride (pingy) and a 20" Sabian Hand Hammered Manhattan Ride (quite washy)

Haven't found the perfect in-between cymbal yet, although I do have plans for a future purchase which I think will do it all but I'll need to play the cymbal in person again before pulling the trigger.

Went for it last night and got the cymbal with £160 off in a sale. Couldn't pass it up.

21" Sabian HH Vanguard arrives tomorrow. Can't wait to play it again.

I think a 21" AA Raw Bell is what I want. Shame they're so expensive, no used ones about either, they're all AAX which is a bit too pingy for me from the YouTube samples.

I think a 21" AA Raw Bell is what I want. Shame they're so expensive, no used ones about either, they're all AAX which is a bit too pingy for me from the YouTube samples.

You could always check out the HH or HHX raw bell rides. Definitely not as pingy as AAX, but still have a nice ping.

They're a bit dark for me, there's a great video on youtube comparing the 4 (HH, HHX, AAX and AA) and the AA is the star, bright, pingy, not as dry as the others, with a nice crash on the edge.

I've not heard one in person yet, because I'm not really in a position to buy one, but I think that's where the search will start, might even need to go heavier in real life, I've got a recording I did with a HH power bell ride and that's not too far of the wash I want, it wouldn't need to be much lighter.

Well so much for the last post.

I've just seen a stupidly cheap AA Raw Bell Dry ride at PMT for £104 delivered. Couldn't pass that up. If it doesn't work I'll sell it on and not lose any sleep.

Tomorrow, we have a gig, and my ride will be my Sabian AA 20" Medium Ride, which is in between pingy and washy. My 18" El Sabor will be my biggest crash, so I can also use it as a ride if I want to get washy. Peace and goodwill.

I'm in love with my new ride.

It's not as dry as I was expecting to be honest, I still need to be careful where and how I hit it. It's really thin at the edge, and it's much nicer to wash the edge than my old medium ride, which is a crash for now, until I can afford and find a 19-20" crash I like that fits with the rest.

I might just have to get some more AAXplosions like I had before, but bigger, I really like having an 18" crash right in front of me, the 16" got lost in the noise.

I used to prefer the pingiest rides I could find, such Sabian Raw Bell Dry Rides and Rock Rides. Then about ten years ago, I bought an AA El Sabor Ride, which was 21 inches in diameter. Since then I have preferred washy rides. Today at practice I used an El Sabor 18" as a crash and a ride.

So what about you: washy or pingy or somewhere in between?

Peace and goodwill.
I had a Sabian AA El Sabor ride at one point - I can't remember if it was 20" or 21" but it had an awesome bell and crashed pretty nicely. I can't remember now why I sold it - I think maybe I was trying to generate cash for something else.

In general I think I prefer more ping than wash, but it depends on the context. I currently own two rides, both 20". One is an early 80s Sabian AA Rock Ride, (essentially a Zildjian A Rock Ride) and the other is an AAX Stage Ride. I have a distinct preference for the AA Rock Ride over the AAX, but sometimes I'll use the AAX - it just depends on what mood I'm in that day.

Back