Pingy Rides vs. Washy Rides

alparrott

Platinum Member
Exactly..!

What would be at this moment the cymbal within the K-custom series that comes the most close to that one..?
This is the same type of K Custom I own. There's nothing quite like it new. The newer K Custom "Ride" with the model name in script font isn't identical. I haven't played on a lot of the new K Custom rides so I don't know what would be truly closest.

But there's bunches of the original K Customs to be had used, many in great condition like mine, for anywhere between $125 and $300 on Reverb. Just look for the block letter model name.

I'm waiting on a used Sabian AAX Omni to arrive - kind of the ultimate ping/wash experiment.

beatdat

I'm not one to obsess over equipment too much, but I am partial to one piece that I have, and that's my Sabian 20" HH Medium-Heavy Ride. I bought it in the mid to late 90s, but kept it (along with my other cymbals) when I gave all of my drums and hardware away when I stopped drumming about 12 years ago.

Now that I'm back to playing again (and have had to repurchase pretty much everything), I'm glad that I kept it. Even though I have no problem letting other drummers in our rehearsal space use my drums, cymbals and hardware (except for my bass drum pedal, too), no one is allowed to touch this ride; it gives me everything I want from a ride cymbal - a cutting and musical bell, a nice ping close to the bell, a beautiful and controllable wash when I lay into it and a nice crash if I don't want to move to another cymbal when I'm playing.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
I agree with Swiss: for my sound I believe when in doubt a ride should be a bit washy than too pingy. I play a mix of jazz and blues. Ping is all 60's and 70's rock to me. Some pingy cymbals sound more like the bell on a cymbal than a cymbal. Or have no musicality at all just wood stick on piece of thick metal. The cymbals I picked have wash and also have stick definition. You can still hear the articulation and stick rhythm through the mix, but a beautiful wash. That's a hard combination to find in a cymbal. It's hard to describe but I know t when I hear it. I hear a lot of pingy cymbals played live and when we talk about it the drummer talks about cutting through the mix so audience and the band can hear the groove played on cymbal. I like to get that, too, but also with a wash. I think too many drummers have cymbals that are way thick and are all ping. Usually they're the drummers playing way loud.

Which is all why I went through several trial and errors buying online until I found Cymbal House in Cincinnati (well, Northern KY) where I can go and try cymbals for several hours to find just the right sound for me and my group.

The longer I play and the more cymbals I played I believe when in doubt a ride
should rather be a bit too washy than too pingy, because in the mix the "ping"
always seems to get through, and the wash tends to be more in the background,
especially through microphones.

The same as with the toms: People muffle them to death, because they want the
perfect sound from the drummer's position, but to the audience there's no tone
left then.

Last edited:

340wedge

I play mostly 50s through 80s and use a 21inch AA rock ride. Love the ping and the bell. I have thought of getting something with more wash for a different sound but instead I just ride a crash. Thinking about it, you can use a crash to ride with wash but you can't get ping without it being the correct ride.

V-Four

I like a good amount of ping. But the ping needs too be dark and weighty, so I hate those Mega Bells and other heavy "Rock" rides.

My main ride is the K Dark Medium 22" which has great ping but isn't totally uncrashable either. If space allows, I set up my 20" K Ride above it for crash/ride duties!
Hey Vital T, could you elaborate on 'dark and weighty'? I like the sound of that. Im looking for more ping and less wash. I got a used Ping ride from GC, but it makes some wierd ass overtones while im riding. Almost sounds like an old telephone ringing.. yes.. in fact several times, ive stopped playing to see if theres a phone ringing somewhere. Strange indeed. I think its defective, and why it was put up for sale.

Thanks,
T.

Now, off to read the rest o the thread. ;)

Quai34

I think I will keep two rides to get the perfect set, my washy ride is a Zildjian A Custom Sweet ride 23", 25 th anniversary, would you say the Meinl Byzance Foundry Resreve Ride 20" (not the light ride...) is more piggy or less pingy? I have a Ping ride/Rock ride Avedis Zildjian 70's made in Canada, 21", that I might want to replace. My shop today showed me an HHXSabian 20" stating that they will be in the idea of the foundry reserve....An opinion. One member yesterday replied that he feels the FOUDRY reserve are king of washy...even the ride normal....

gdmoore28

Gold Member
I lean more towards washy nowadays, though I've never been into cymbals that are pure ping.

Currently, I use my long-time favorite Sabian 20" HH medium ride with rivets, and a recently-acquired Sabian 21" HH RBDR, which has a much nicer wash than I expected. I'm quite satisfied with the options that I have with these two cymbals.

GeeDeeEmm

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I like a shimmery ping more than anything. I have found that in the Zildjian 20" K Custom Dark ride I think, and that will be my spring purchase

Right now I have my 20" Rock Ride from 1980, and a 22" K Ride from the early 90's. I also have a 22" 1948 Zildjian ride that I use for brushes or my small jazz combo. That thing is washy as hell!! And dark...

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Almost sounds like an old telephone ringing.. yes.. in fact several times, ive stopped playing to see if theres a phone ringing somewhere. Strange indeed. I think its defective, and why it was put up for sale.
I get this too. I'll stop because I swear I hear a phone ringing. I think it's just general cymbal frequencies crashing into one another.

I still prefer both on my set, washy and pingy.

gdmoore28

Gold Member
I get this too. I'll stop because I swear I hear a phone ringing. I think it's just general cymbal frequencies crashing into one another.

I still prefer both on my set, washy and pingy.
That's the kind of "frequency dominant" cymbal response that drives me up the wall. It took me years to finally determine exact what it was that made me like or dislike a cymbal.

I have a test that I do now when I audition cymbals: if I can hum a distinct tone (frequency) that presents itself in the cymbal's wash frequencies, I know that it will become an accute annoyance.

GeeDeeEmm

Rock Salad

Tape. If you look, there are many, many of our favorite players who use tape to tailor the ping of their cymbals especially in jazz. Ping + tape = stick.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
My Sabian 21" AA Dry Ride has been the One Ride for me. Bought it in 1986 and it's just perfect.
I have a 22" Zildjian K Custom Complex Dry Ride that I got in a trade and I don't use much. It just doesn't sound good and I'm looking to trade it for something else.

One Up One Down

That's the kind of "frequency dominant" cymbal response that drives me up the wall. It took me years to finally determine exact what it was that made me like or dislike a cymbal.

I have a test that I do now when I audition cymbals: if I can hum a distinct tone (frequency) that presents itself in the cymbal's wash frequencies, I know that it will become an accute annoyance.

GeeDeeEmm
I learned this last year after I brought home a Sabian 18" HH dark crash -- there are so many lovely layers of frequency. I just love the sound, partly because it's so difficult to clearly identify a single tone.