Pies that surprise

mikyok

Platinum Member
What's the cymbal(s) that have proven you wrong and you use more than you ever thought you would. There's always lots of worst drums/cymbals etc so lets give some praise where it's due!

I've got a couple:

Zildjian Rock Ride - Thought it was gonna be a manhole cover but it's great for bigger unmiced gigs and it crashes.

Rude Hi Hats - B8 New Beats, very similar in weight and very versatile. Gutted I swapped mine.

BertTheDrummer

Gold Member
Paiste 2002/Giant Beat/Big Beat - Proved to me that not all B8 cymbals are junk.

alparrott

Platinum Member
AAX Omni - "How can a cymbal with this great of a bell crash so nicely, and I can still get a nice defined bow sound?"

trickg

Silver Member
17" Dream Bliss crash. For no more than it cost, it sounds right at home with my Sabian HHX Studio crashes.

dwdrummerky

Sabian 19" AA Holy China Brilliant - Thought these were all super loud aggressive and one-sided. Bought one online to try, and its the opposite - very dynamic, complex, quick and musical. Love it!

TTNW

Pioneer Member
AAX Omni - "How can a cymbal with this great of a bell crash so nicely, and I can still get a nice defined bow sound?"

I agree with this. I enjoy this cymbal a lot, especially so when I want a very minimalist set up. I can play most of the music we play with just this cymbal and a pair of hats.

20" A Ping Ride - It was my very first ride cymbal and I thought I didn't like it anymore and started playing thinner, darker and drier rides. I keep coming back to it in the last few years as my go to rock ride. There's a reason Zildjian sold so many of them.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Heartbeat 22" Custom Dark Ride

I never thought I'd like dark cymbals.
I never thought I'd hear a cymbal that rides just as good as it crashes.
I never thought I'd like anything better than an A Custom.

Erberderber

My Paiste PST7 14" thin crash, what some would say a poor man's 2002. It was too ineffectual for punk and indie rock, but I'm playing in a smaller outfit now and use it as my only crash. It's so thin and light, I can even get a good sound from it with my hands while playing bongos.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Strawberry rhubarb.

Sabian 20" Pro ride. It only goes ping, but what a lovely ping it is.

Mustion

Out of curiosity I tapped on a pair of 16" AAXplosion hats on the cymbal wall at the 14th Street GC and it was the only cymbal impulse buy I've ever made from a store (inasmuch as sleeping on it and buying it the next day is an impulse buy). Never thought I'd like big hats but those sure did it for me.

Seems the regrettable purchases would be a more common situation as I'm sure most of us buy gear after some measured thought. I can't see myself buying a cymbal with enough ambivalence for it to have room to grow on me; I must have wanted it for some reason in the first place.

Have bought several that I thought I wanted but grew ambivalent towards, however...

vyacheslav

20" Sabian AAX Dry Ride. I got it used from a friend and bought it without even playing it (except when he met me to collect the money). It's the complete opposite of what I was expecting. I thought it would be heavy, pingy and pretty much a one trick pony, which is what I wanted. Not even close! It's very washy but still has a good stick and is very crashable, with an excellent bell. Plays much lighter than it is and plays much lighter than I think it should. I got it for a good price so I thought I would just turn around and resell it because it wasn't what I wanted. I took it to a few rehearsals shortly after I got it just to "put it through the paces" with different genres of music and it fit in surprisingly well in all 3 contexts (Jazz, Light Pop and Rock). Super versatile.....glad I kept it!

Black Label

A Paiste 404 20" ride - what a surprise that was. Amazing light sparkling ping and crashes like a dream.

A set of 15" Paiste Rude hi hats - much more versatile than what I ever thought they would be.

Mustion

A set of 15" Paiste Rude hi hats - much more versatile than what I ever thought they would be.

I considered putting together a set of RUDEs after playing a 18" or 19" thin crash at GC and being amazed at how not manhole-covery it was. Really nice feel to it. But, Paiste=$$$ so yeah.

Jml

I considered putting together a set of RUDEs after playing a 18" or 19" thin crash at GC and being amazed at how not manhole-covery it was. Really nice feel to it. But, Paiste=$$$ so yeah.

Yeah same experience here at a NJ Guitar Center. Those Rudes aren't as bad as I thought.....

EhhSoCheap

Yeah same experience here at a NJ Guitar Center. Those Rudes aren't as bad as I thought.....

Is it true David Garibaldi played RUDE cymbals before leaving Paiste for Sabian? Earl Bennett, a YoutTube user who I've been watching lately, made a comment in one of his videos about RUDE hihats being somewhat versatile and threw in the tidbit about Garibaldi playing them.

BertTheDrummer

Gold Member

I agree if you get the RUDEs thin they are pretty versatile.

Dave_G

My Paiste 505 22" Heavy Ride. It has the bell from hell and a nice ping on the bow but crashes and washes well when you lay into it. It records like a dream and works great in live situations without a mic.

microkit

Wuhan 10" splash - though it would be a plinky, clinky can lid like my other generic 10" splash. It's actually beautiful. Bought to pair together for 10" mini hats.

Zidjian Z3/Z whatever Thrash Ride. This is a classic 'oh my' cymbal, much more usable than its heritage suggests.

DrkPhx

I recently picked up a Paiste PSTX Swiss 14" hi hat and mounted them to a Meinl aux hi hat stand. I love them so much I ordered a 10" and 12" splash to stack with my Sabian China splashes. Dirty white noise indeed. I also have 2 Sabian AAX Aero crashes and they really surprised me how good they sound.