Pics of the new kit

Oh, and one more thing I forgot to mention. In case anyone missed it, my design kit is the limited edition 3 piece 13-16-22. Color is called iron satin metallic. From the day I got it to my eyes it looked more like a flat black with a hint of gray in it. Well, at the gig, under stage lights, the color turned morphed into a really cool (IMO) steel-ish gray. I walked out to look at the kit after I set up and was like, wow isn’t that cool! I can post a few pics later if anyone would like to see them.
When would we ever turn down drum pics??

Thank you for the encouragement! The gig went well, the band played very well and we had a great crowd considering it was a Wednesday night. Now, let’s get to the important stuff, feedback on how the kit performed. The drums sounded phenomenal; the Tom’s had a fat sweet tone, and as you stated previously the kick drum is a cannon. It was a fairly large room, but very live. We ended up only miking the kick, with the rest of the kit naturally bleeding into the vocal mics. Doesn’t always work out this way but the drums sounded Great outfront and great from the throne. I got very positive feedback from some audience members, my bandmates, and even the sound guy. Another plus to these drums that I don’t believe was discussed yet, is that although they have a fairly thick Eight ply shell they are pretty light. Considering the sound And Overall build quality, the price point, and the light weight, in my opinion this is an ideal buy for a gigging kit. IM beyond elated with these drums, I would have paid double for this level of sound and quality.
This is great to hear. Congrats!

The Designs are definitely lighter than my Renowns so that will come into play when I choose a kit to gig with. I'm not super concerned about the weight of either but it's a factor for sure.

Speaking of gigs, I guess I'm going to have to port the kick drum for a microphone. For some reason the resonant head didn't come with the small port holes that the Design series is supposed to. It's definitely a Design series part though because it's got HVLT stenciled on the head.

We agree on another thing; I would have paid double for this kit and not thought twice about it. I got a good deal on mine versus the GREAT deal you got on yours but I still feel like my set was a bargain. I never thought I would use the words DW and bargain in the same sentence but there it is.

Last edited:
I never thought I would use the words DW and bargain in the same sentence but there it is. ?
Yeah that certainly is a first! I am hoping they expand this line with more size and finish options. For the record, I never bought into the DW hype. I could care less if my drums were cut from a 2000 year old tree submerged under the Titanic and hiding Davey Jones’s locker while being guarded by Moby Dick, Jaws, and the Kraken. I just dig this particular kit!

Yeah that certainly is a first! I am hoping they expand this line with more size and finish options. For the record, I never bought into the DW hype. I could care less if my drums were cut from a 2000 year old tree submerged under the Titanic and hiding Davey Jones’s locker while being guarded by Moby Dick, Jaws, and the Kraken. I just dig this particular kit!
I never bought into the hype either, and was occasionally turned off by the "just because you can't afford them..." crowd. I've seen that from some Apple computer fans too. Most people are pretty decent and humble but there are exceptions out there.

Speaking of finishes and sizes, I ordered the 14" floor tom since the piano black is a limited edition and I don't want to be stuck when production runs out. The concert toms might be fun too.

I picked up a new kit earlier this week. Traded in one of my Yamaha Stage Custom kits towards these and figured that some folks might like to see them.

This is a 2020 limited-run DW Design Series kit in Piano Black gloss lacquer. Piano Black lacquer is hardly an exotic finish but it goes with everything and I wanted a drum kit that would look at home on any stage.

Also pictured is my new (to me) DW Collectors Black Nickel over Brass snare. It's a nice match for the rest of the kit but that's really just a bonus. It's the best sounding snare I've ever owned which is what really matters. I think the satin chrome hardware looks pretty cool against the black nickel and gives the drum a distinctive look.

There is so much to love about this kit but rather than rave about it here, I'll save that for another day. I hope I haven't been too hard on DW in the past because these drums blow me away. I'm flabbergasted, honestly, at how much I like them.

Thanks for checking them out, and thanks to Bo Eder for tipping me off to these!

View attachment 103340

View attachment 103341

View attachment 103342
Love the piano black and the small lugs just wish they would put a bd Tom mount on.

I never bought into the hype either, and was occasionally turned off by the "just because you can't afford them..." crowd. I've seen that from some Apple computer fans too. Most people are pretty decent and humble but there are exceptions out there.

Speaking of finishes and sizes, I ordered the 14" floor tom since the piano black is a limited edition and I don't want to be stuck when production runs out. The concert toms might be fun too.
How much was the ft?

Such a beautiful kit!!! Black lacquer is so classy, I love it!

When would we ever turn down drum pics??
Ok. So, first pic was taken in my poorly lit basement. The drums looked black when I bought them, but to my eyes look even darker black in the basement. Second pic is from the gig the other night, where under stage lights they took on a steely gray hue.

Attachments

• 8290E572-9B01-484D-989C-EBBDBD562EA8.jpeg
    8290E572-9B01-484D-989C-EBBDBD562EA8.jpeg
    106 KB · Views: 15
  • 67B317F8-D561-4E97-ADC9-F5DB86EC6677.jpeg
    67B317F8-D561-4E97-ADC9-F5DB86EC6677.jpeg
    761.9 KB · Views: 13
Ok. So, first pic was taken in my poorly lit basement. The drums looked black when I bought them, but to my eyes look even darker black in the basement. Second pic is from the gig the other night, where under stage lights they took on a steely gray hue.
Nice! Yamaha hardware, I see?

That’s all I’ve been using for years now. Wouldn’t even consider anything else at this point.
Ditto. It just works. I have tons of it - enough for three kits at least. I snap it up when I see it in the local classifieds.

I ported the bass drum this afternoon. Less pedal flutter and it didn't hurt the sound any. I liked the Bonham sound but ported heads are popular with sound guys. You have to pick your battles.

A bit less ambient light hints at the finishes potential on stage. Looks like I'll have to wait another few months to find out.

20210416_214307.jpg20210416_213729.jpg

Ditto. It just works. I have tons of it - enough for three kits at least. I snap it up when I see it in the local classifieds.
I do the same; Craigslist, Facebook, GC used section. I have 2 full sets of 700 stuff at this point, but could use a third. I’m on the verge of just ordering the pack. I’d be pretty well set for life hardware wise.

I ported the bass drum this afternoon. Less pedal flutter and it didn't hurt the sound any. I liked the Bonham sound but ported heads are popular with sound guys. You have to pick your battles.

A bit less ambient light hints at the finishes potential on stage. Looks like I'll have to wait another few months to find out.

View attachment 103384View attachment 103385
It had a Bonham sound with a deep 22 x18? I dont believe it. You need at least 24" and definitely only 14" deep to get close to that sound.

It had a Bonham sound with a deep 22 x18? I dont believe it. You need at least 24" and definitely only 14" deep to get close to that sound.
I meant it somewhat tongue in cheek meaning that blooming unported sound. This kick does do a good job of that.

Last edited:
I meant it somewhat tongue in cheek meaning that blooming unported sound. This kick does do a good job of that.
Apologize if I missed it, but what head are you using on the batter side of your bass drum? I’m a Remo guy for everything else, but running an emad with the small ring along with an Evans eq pillow just touching the bottom of the reso. I was rewarded with a very deep, punchy, fat kick sound at he gig. What a great feeling to have that power under my foot.

Back