Pics of early great players

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
In 1942, Viola Smith, a veteran drummer, sent shock waves through the readership of Down Beat by extolling the existence of “hep girls,” female jazz musicians “who could sit in any jam session and hold their own. “A firestorm of letters-to-the-editor ensued. passionately debating the topic; While this controversy may seem hopelessly outdated in an era of such commanding female jazz performers as horn players Jane Bunnett, Ingrid Jensen, and Jane Ira Bloom, and drummers Cindy Blackmen, Sheila E, Terri Lyne Carrington and Sylvia Cuenca. Its effects linger. Women who play jazz still encounter befuddled reception to their very presence. “I’ve never seen a woman do that!” or the ubiquitous. “You play good for a girl!” or “You play like a man!” Commentary about women in jazz sticks at fundamental questions; Do they exist? Are they serious? Can they play?

EDrums

There is or was a clip of her playing on YouTube, it is pretty good it was from a movie short of when she was playing w/ Frances Carroll and the croquettes. If I can Find it, I'll post it.

Deltadrummer

Platinum Member
This is just too cool. And esp Viola. I have quite a few female students and they are just great. It's really great to see that they have these role models to look up to going all the way back to the 1940's.

J

jay norem

"John Noonan, famous drum authority."
He had a badge and everything.

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
That's a cool Viola Smith vid.
Yeah, I think Vinny Appice stole that set up :p

My grandmother was a touring drummer in the 20's.
She and her 2 sisters were in show biz starting at an early age.

Chazz

and I thought the "80's were cool...
the "20's" were the place to be "^)

Those girls rock..

EDrums

Thats cool.. any pics of her playing? Who did she play with? Did continue into the 40's with the girl bands ?

EDrums

Ok I'm ignorant who is Vinny Appice is there any links?