Picking between 2 Paiste Crashes

RaxCity

Hey Drummerworld. I'm pretty new to Paiste, having only used a couple of their cymbals, and I've got a good deal on two really nice crashes that I can't really pick between. Both cost $450NZD, which is about $200 off, a pretty good saving in my opinion.

The two cymbals I am picking between are:

Paiste Signature 18" Fast Crash
Paiste 602 18" Thin Crash

They sound pretty similar to me, and I'm having a hard time picking between them as they are both pretty much the cymbal sound I have in mind. Does anyone have any thoughts, opinions or advice that can sway me towards one of these cymbals? Thanks everybody!

toddbishop

Platinum Member
Personally I'd buy the 602. To me the Signature cymbals all feel like they're designed for 80s power drumming. The 602 is a normal cymbal that will sound great in a variety of settings.

taiko

Joking aside, I have a 602 18" paper thin crash that is the best sounding crash I've ever owned. I would also vote for the 602, assuming you like the sound of both. There is also the question of what sort of music you play. In the end, I think you just have to listen to both a lot and pull the trigger on the one you lean towards.

cbphoto

Gold Member
I vote for the Sig Fast Crash. I have three of them. They are thin/light so there are lower frequency harmonics in their sound that is wonderful. If you record and play them with a medium to medium-light force the decay is beautiful.

RaxCity

I've been listening to these two crashes for ages now, and I'm honestly finding it so hard to decide, but I think I'm leaning slightly more towards the 602, just because it seems a bit better at lower volumes. Does anyone have anymore advice about these cymbals, experience with them, durability etc?

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
I vote for the Sig Fast Crash. I have three of them. They are thin/light so there are lower frequency harmonics in their sound that is wonderful. If you record and play them with a medium to medium-light force the decay is beautiful.
I agree with the above. The Sigs open up very easily, as does the 602 Thin. If you can give us an idea of what you'll be using it for we can make educated suggestions.

RaxCity

I agree with the above. The Sigs open up very easily, as does the 602 Thin. If you can give us an idea of what you'll be using it for we can make educated suggestions.
Alright, the styles I'll be using it for is probably funk, rock, and maybe a bit of jazz, but generally low-mid volume stuff. For reference, all of my other cymbals are zildjian/sabian B20, which is why I think the 602 might fit better, but I haven't used either cymbal before which is why I'm asking for opinions. If it helps, I'm also looking at getting a 20" 602 Medium ride, which I have a good deal on as well. Cheers.

taiko

Alright, the styles I'll be using it for is probably funk, rock, and maybe a bit of jazz, but generally low-mid volume stuff. For reference, all of my other cymbals are zildjian/sabian B20, which is why I think the 602 might fit better, but I haven't used either cymbal before which is why I'm asking for opinions. If it helps, I'm also looking at getting a 20" 602 Medium ride, which I have a good deal on as well. Cheers.
I use the 602 cymbals for jazz routinely. I think they are fantastic for jazz, although some might find them on the brighter side when it comes to acoustic jazz settings. I don't.

cbphoto

Gold Member
Well, if you're going to get a 602 ride, you may as well get a 602 crash. Use it for a season, and if you don't like it, you can easlily sell it on the used market. Used Paiste tins don't stay listed for very long.

VitalTransformation

Silver Member
Ha, this was my exact situation (already having an arsenal of Zildjians and Sabians) so I bought a used reissue 20" 602 medium ride thinking it would fit nicely. I was wrong, it stuck out like a polar bear in a gravel pit. I feel it sounded like a slightly more complex 2002, but still too glassy and clean compared my preferred sounds. Sold it at a nice profit soon after.

I'd still like to try a whole setup of 602s and see how they work together, but who has that kind of money?