Picking a 5 piece 22" shell pack?

DenK

I am absolutely loving this forum, thanks to all who post.
Doing the research is half the fun, and I looking to get back into drumming after a long break. I have been doing some DJing and have a lot of Gibraltar hardware and mounting options I used for my controllers and cdj's, so mounting options are not as important for me as for others.
I know all the major brands are fine, but looking for something I can add a second base or floor tom and not have a hard time finding one to match.
I just have been out of the game a long time and it seems DW keeps coming to the top for the middle of the road shells. I believe the Design series they call it $1600 range.
I may pull the trigger this week and order but if there is a better option for a little less may look into that.

Also seems, even mid level kits need heads replaced.
Any advice?

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I'd consider budgeting a little extra to replace at least the batter side heads IF the stock heads aren't to your liking, but I'd at least try the stock heads first.

As far as the drums themselves, I'd first mention Inde Drums. I absolutely love what they're doing, and they have a pretty wide array of size and finish options that should fit right into your price range. Inde will also ship with your choice of Aquarian heads, so you could get a kit out of the box with the heads you want.

I also really like Pearl's Session series. The wood mix of the shells and available finishes speak to me, and Pearl's build quality is great.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Gretsch Brooklyn for me before DW. I'm sure John Good would like to hear DW called middle of the road. LOL

IBitePrettyHard

I've played the DW Design Series and they are very good quality drums, BUT there are many kits I'd consider first because they offer better value for money. DW is notorious for being more expensive than their counterparts. Gretsch Renowns, Pearl Session Studio, and Mapex Saturn V drums are every bit as good, if not better, and they cost less.

Since you've been out of the game for a while...cheaper drums are vastly better than they were 20 years ago. Today's entry-level drums are equal to mid-to-high level drums from the 90s (in terms of quality). Yamaha Stage Customs, Tama Superstar Classic, even the PDP Concept Maple kits...all of those kits sound fantastic for the price. They're road-worthy and are played by professionals.

Like you I went through a long research phase, and based on sound I chose the Gretsch Renowns. They're the best sounding drums I've ever played. This forum is nearly unanimous in singing the Renown's praises, along with the Yamaha Stage Customs for the budget option. You can't go wrong with either.

Last edited:

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Listen to a lot and try before buying if possible.

So many nice drums at a good price these days, but there are lots of differences between them in character.

With that budget, I'd go second hand unless I wasc looking for something unique.

DW makes good drums, but various classic designs are getting more popular these days. They have their versions, but it's not the same.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Woo hoo that’s a fine budget for a kit but you’ll need great cymbals too, a good throne, likely new heads, and you may want a shell pack without a snare so you can pick an individual snare. You’ll get lots of suggestions which may just make decision more difficult. Personally I’d pick my cymbals and snare first then find a great 4-5 piece shell pack with what’s left. Show pics of your new drums!

DenK

I've played the DW Design Series and they are very good quality drums, BUT there are many kits I'd consider first because they offer better value for money. DW is notorious for being more expensive than their counterparts. Gretsch Renowns, Pearl Session Studio, and Mapex Saturn V drums are every bit as good, if not better, and they cost less.

Since you've been out of the game for a while...cheaper drums are vastly better than they were 20 years ago. Today's entry-level drums are equal to mid-to-high level drums from the 90s (in terms of quality). Yamaha Stage Customs, Tama Superstar Classic, even the PDP Concept Maple kits...all of those kits sound fantastic for the price. They're road-worthy and are played by professionals.

Like you I went through a long research phase, and based on sound I chose the Gretsch Renowns. They're the best sounding drums I've ever played. This forum is nearly unanimous in singing the Renown's praises, along with the Yamaha Stage Customs for the budget option. You can't go wrong with either.
Thanks, glad I asked the question.

harryconway

Platinum Member
DW Design series ..... probably my favorite of their lines ..... simply for the mini lug they use. And you can add a 14" or 18" floor tom.

Renown gives you actually more add on options than DW. A good solid line.

Pearl Sessions 5 piece gives you two rack, two floor and a kick. You get to add the snare.

Yamaha Tour Maple Custom comes in a 4 piece .... you need to add the snare. I don't know if a bass drum add on is do-able, but floor is.

I'm holding your $1600 fig. pretty firm. You go up $2K ... a little over .... then INDe, Mapex, Tama get do-able as 5 piece. I think these 4 are all about equal on features.

Tamaefx

Silver Member
You could also consider the Starclassic W/B : great choice of add-on, die-cast hoops, shallower BD, BD mount. Very good hardware. The DW Design series is a great product too.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
If you have $1500 to spend on shells, man, get out there and play as much as you can. I'd go with Ludwig Classic Maples if it were me. Buy used, and save a ton.

If I were just getting started, I'd probably focus more on cymbals and maybe a good quality snare first. You can always change the sound of a drum pretty easily, but you can't do this with a cymbal. That's just me though.

yammyfan

For that price you could probably get a brand-new Yamaha Stage Custom 5 piece and a Zildjian A cymbal pack. Excellent sound out of the box and easily sold when you're ready for something different.

gdmoore28

Gold Member
Easy answer: buy this USED gear:

- Gretsch Renown RN1 drum set. Most of the time when you find them for sale from individuals, they will include hardware, too. You can afford to burn up as much as $1000 of your budget here if the drums look great and include hardware.

- Avedis Zildjian "A" cymbals.
* 20-23" Zildjian "A" ride cymbal $120.00
* (pr) 14" Zildjian "A" New Beat or Quick Beat hi-hat cymbals 125.00
* 16-18" Zildjian "A" Thin crash cymbal 100.00

* Total price spent on professional-level "forever" cymbals? $345.00

That leaves you $450 of your $1800 budget to save, give the church an extra tithe, surprize your wife and/or girlfriend, or buy yourself a really nice throne.

GeeDeeEmm