Picked up some 60's Ludwigs

F

funkutron

Plus 1 on that.​
Extra holes are very common, on drums this old. People did all kinds of "mods", to get things positioned better. I once saw an old Tommy Aldridge (Black Oak era) Ludwig double bass kit that had a slew of Rogers swiv-o-matic mounts on his kicks.​
A common "old school" fix, is simply put stove bolts into the holes. Some people think that looks better than the empty hole.​
A more complicated fix, is to glue dowel plugs into the holes, and then glue matching wrap pieces (cut round and correctly sized) onto the plug.​
Of course, if you don't mind the holes, you can just leave 'em be.​
I think you mean carriage bolts, not stove bolts. I had to change sides with my original Ludwig "side" tom mount because I'm a lefty, they plugged the holes with carriage bolts...they have that little "square" under the round head so they don't turn.

mandrew

Gold Member
I would have them professionaly reedged, then I would re-wrap them, good to go! I have used Bum Wraps, and they do a great job. It is not hard to wrap them yourself.

F

funkutron

No, I typed stove bolts because that's what I meant.​
Carriage bolts have no "screw heads", they are rounded and smooth, and so they look better. They're what drum companies use to mount the bases of tom mounts to kick drums, and anywhere else a bolt head would "show".