Pick the better deal

I hope the decision is easier for you than myself. I do not! Like those flat finishes of sonors and I don't like die-cast hoops. The decision would take days for me.

I'm a Gretsch guy but the Sonor kit is beautiful. For me I believe I would go after the Sonor if the sound is right.

Both these kits are within 8 miles of me. Choose !!

or

Bruh if It wasn’t frowned upon I’d take that sonor kit out for dinner and make love to it.

I’m not a Gretsch fan but I love Sonor stuff.

for me, it’s the sonor kit

Both these kits are within 8 miles of me. Choose !!

or

A USA Custom is Gretsch's top of the line - that's a great deal for the highest end a company makes. Beautiful kit - I'd pick it up in a second.

EDIT:

Read your post about the finish - that sucks. Sonor I suppose!

Last edited:
I just made a verbal commitment to buy the Sonor SQ1 in the link posted in the OP. The seller finally got back to me. Picking it up TUES as banks are closed SUN/MON. Just like this one only in the GT Black finish. 4 months old never gigged. Price is ridiculous for a 22-10-12-16. No snare included.

I know I’m late to the party, but just form an aesthetic point of view, I like the Sonor. The finish on that Gretsch is boring to me.

I just made a verbal commitment to buy the Sonor SQ1 in the link posted in the OP. The seller finally got back to me. Picking it up TUES as banks are closed SUN/MON. Just like this one only in the GT Black finish. 4 months old never gigged. Price is ridiculous for a 22-10-12-16. No snare included.
You won't regret it, Todd. Great drums.

When you get them will you take better pics? I want to like the matte black but the pics are pretty dark. I dont think they are doing them justice.

When you get them will you take better pics? I want to like the matte black but the pics are pretty dark. I dont think they are doing them justice.
Yeah sure. It's nice that I can inspect them in person. As long as there aren't any defects, shell cracks, or blemishes they're coming home with Papa. Here's the exact specs twin brother of a kit if you want to see a couple nice pics of them in the interim. Probably better than I'll be able to take.

I ordered a Grestch snare from the USA factory a few years back.. too many QC issues and throw off was clearly from another time. Ended up selling it last year.

How about a brand new boxed SQ1 for $1899?

I would go with the Sonor kit but the Gretsch is nice if you can not purchase the Sonor's. Good luck.

I ordered a Grestch snare from the USA factory a few years back.. too many QC issues and throw off was clearly from another time. Ended up selling it last year.

How about a brand new boxed SQ1 for $1899?

No thanks. I can't deal with those colors and I'm getting a 4pc not a 3 pc. Won't have to pay sales state tax either. The kit I'm buying is represented as mint and if it's not, I won't buy it.

Yeah sure. It's nice that I can inspect them in person. As long as there aren't any defects, shell cracks, or blemishes they're coming home with Papa. Here's the exact specs twin brother of a kit if you want to see a couple nice pics of them in the interim. Probably better than I'll be able to take.
That's very nice. I kinda thought it would be, just wasnt seeing it in the CL add.

Just got back from looking at the Gretsch kit. No dice. The kit itself is in nice condition but whoever did the original paint job really messed up. There's all these tiny crack lines in the paint under the clear lacquer. It's a case where if you're two feet away you wouldn't notice it but it's also a situation that's not going to better and probably will get worse. I doubt the kit is even 3-4 years old. The finish on my 9 year old Gen 1 Taiwan Renown kit is 100% better!

Haven't heard back from the SQ1 guy despite a couple attempts via CL email. Oh well.

Dixon/Reliance (OEM) is Gretsch's bread and butter right now. The USA stuff from them is extremely hit or miss.

Back