Pick the better deal

I suppose it's safe to presume that you wouldn't be willing to explore Pearl options?

The Gretsch floor tom looks rather bedraggled to me, as though a mountain lion had a go at its finish. Does anyone else see scars, or am I experiencing optical illusions?

Correction: Just took a closer look. Reflections seem to be at work on the Gretsch floor tom. Both kits are nice. Tough decision.

Last edited:
I'm seeing the reflection of other drums in the floor toms finish. You could ask for additional pictures. I vote for the Gretsch USA set.

I don't like the looks of the lugs on the sonar kit and I know nothing about the sound of either one of those drum sets LOL

I'm torn. They both look nice. Toss a coin?

The Gretsch looks great, but I haven't played a Sonor in ages. I guess you can't get both? Which set is closer?

...knackered old Tama Swingstar also selling on that site for $69.99, you can’t argue with that price.
That surprised me too. The bass drum's missing at least a couple rods and claws, and the legs, but that's cheap!

I had no idea there were any MGR stores in the eastern US.

Going to check out the Gretsch kit today. The Sonor guy hasn't gotten back to me. There might be some interesting history with the Gretsch kit. I'll 'splain later.

Just get both. You'll be back in a week for the kit you don't buy. Why not cut through the chase?

Both great, tough decision. I would go for the SQ1 because I think in general Sonor make better drums than Gretsch, but plenty of people would probably disagree...

Oh man, that silver Gretsch all the way. :love::love::love: Like the Sonor, but you already have one and just on looks alone it doesn’t compare with your existing Sonors. I love my red glass Brooklyns, but the silver...I could be swayed to let go.

Just got back from looking at the Gretsch kit. No dice. The kit itself is in nice condition but whoever did the original paint job really messed up. There's all these tiny crack lines in the paint under the clear lacquer. It's a case where if you're two feet away you wouldn't notice it but it's also a situation that's not going to better and probably will get worse. I doubt the kit is even 3-4 years old. The finish on my 9 year old Gen 1 Taiwan Renown kit is 100% better!

Haven't heard back from the SQ1 guy despite a couple attempts via CL email. Oh well.

Just got back from looking at the Gretsch kit. No dice. The kit itself is in nice condition but whoever did the original paint job really messed up. There's all these tiny crack lines in the paint under the clear lacquer. It's a case where if you're two feet away you wouldn't notice it but it's also a situation that's not going to better and probably will get worse. I doubt the kit is even 3-4 years old. The finish on my 9 year old Gen 1 Taiwan Renown kit is 100% better!

Haven't heard back from the SQ1 guy despite a couple attempts via CL email. Oh well.
Nitro cellulose lacquer will check like that for a number of reasons. Could indeed have been a poor factory job. Too bad they looked like that, but good thing you saw them in person before buying.

Back