Pick five 'desert island' books

Toby_Jackson

If you only have five instructional books to take with them to take on a desert island (where the only fun thing to do would be playing drums!), which five would you pick? No one say Stick Control (being the 'bible', it's a given).

Here's mine:

Master Studies - Morello
Syncopation - Reed
The New Breed - Chester
Beyond Bop Drumming - Riley
Conversations in Clave - 'El Negro'

OK, so aside from Stick Control, mine would be (in no order):

The New Breed
Syncopation
Advanced Techniques For The Modern Drummer
The Jazz Drummer's Workshop

Then probably a really mental co-ordination book, like El Negro or Marco Minneman, just to keep me on my toes.

Lloyd.

Jazzer - what has your experience been like with the Workshop? I hear great things but have never seen it around here - thinking of ordering it.

cantstand - start a dvd thread if you want - this one's 'bout books.

I'd take The Complete Drummer's Vocabulary As Taught By Alan Dawson (or whatever its ridiculously verbose name was...) by John Ramsay and The New Breed by Gary Chester. Then I'd use them with Modern Reading Text in 4/4 and Odd-Time Reading Text by Louis Bellson and Gil Breines... And whenever my brain would start to hurt, I'd read a few pages of Effortless Mastery by Kenny Werner.

Jazzer - what has your experience been like with the Workshop? I hear great things but have never seen it around here - thinking of ordering it.

Order it! It's got some great concepts, I've just been working on it now. I must warn you that it's quite advanced. It's probably on the same level or maybe tougher than Beyond Bop Drumming. I think it's just a collection of tuition articles he wrote for Modern Drummer over the years. It's got LOADS of stuff on odd times, ridiculously difficult co-ordination exercises, transcriptions of comping and solos of Tony Williams, Max Roach, Philly Jo, and so much more.

A REALLY good book :D

- new breed
- advanced techniques
- syncopation
- rockin' bass drum (using systems from syncopation with these patterns can get quite interesting)
- and a blank manuscript book of course

Somehow, the idea of playing excercises out of a book on a desert island, all by myself, seems depressing. However, if desert means there were no other books around (but plenty of musicians) I would take
"4 way coordination" by Dahlgreen and Fine
Master studies
Accents and Rebounds
Advanced Techniques by Chapin and
The Real Book (for reading)

Back