Physical Training - Getting Around the Set

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
Are there any especially good physical exercises for getting around the set. I used to wear wrist weights while playing, I found it helped isolate the dynamic of hitting the drum or cymbal, from whipping my arm across the set(counter intuitively It didn't help me hit the drums harder). I wonder if there are any other exercises. Since, I started to get my set back together after not playing for a several years, I notice a bit of a tightness under the shoulder blades, seems like lat rows and other dumbbell work would do.

toddbishop

Platinum Member
Just practicing the drums is good for that. Maybe you could get Joe Cusatis's books, or Dahlgren's Drum Set Control if you want some written-out exercises for getting around the drums.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Do you stretch at all before you play? I have noticed that for myself, if I don't stretch, there is about a 5 minute or so warm up period I must go through before things start working and feeling correct. If I just sit down and try to go all out without stretching, everything becomes very tight and movement becomes limited.

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
Do you stretch at all before you play? I have noticed that for myself, if I don't stretch, there is about a 5 minute or so warm up period I must go through before things start working and feeling correct. If I just sit down and try to go all out without stretching, everything becomes very tight and movement becomes limited.
Now that I think back, I did do stretches, and there are some good ones with drum sticks. These days I do abs and back extension workouts on a swiss ball, so I should be covered there as well as walking or running 4 to 7 miles every day. From time to time I do clean pulls and shoulder shrugs with the dumbbells.

I find the shoulder shrugs go a long way towards not getting a head or neck ache using a computer all day.

brady

Platinum Member
Just practicing the drums is good for that. Maybe you could get Joe Cusatis's books, or Dahlgren's Drum Set Control if you want some written-out exercises for getting around the drums.
Joe Morello's Rudimental Jazz book is excellent as well.