Phonic or SQ1?

RK1

Beech v birch aside, would you gentlemen go 70s Phonic (24,13,14,16) or modern SQ1 (20, 12, 14)?

size difference stands out -1st really-
(ta me..
Plan on moving them or staying in one spot (..) or what's the scenario
beyond that I don't hear the distinctiveness the 70s Phonic had- it may be there- in the new ones I dunno.

if the sizes were equal I may go for the new- less wear and tear-
I'm not a Sonor guy heard and only played (them) a few memorable times .

Last edited:
With such a vast discrepancy in sizes, your preference in sizes and/or the style of music you play should be the primary deciding factor.

For me personally, I'd go for the SQ1. I like those sizes better, and I'm not really into vintage kits and all their drawbacks. But again, this is up to your preferences.

I already have a Sonic Plus and sometimes I like smaller sizes for fusion.

The Phonics are absolute tanks and not easy to come by, though. Heavy beech. Excellent condition.

The SQ1 is more visually appealing and $1K more. They sit between medium and heavy birch.

I like the sound and sizes of both. I’m terrible at decisions like these, so I’m coming here for input.

Last edited:
you know you best
our opinion hardly matter's (lol)

" last time I asked for directions I ended up down near the water"..

The Phonics are absolute tanks and not easy to come by, though.

The SQ1 is more visually appealing and $1K more.

Phonics are just too thick IMO.. they are around 9mm .... which is good for a kick.. but not toms IMO..

SQ1 are more medium at 7mm on the toms. .. Much more tuning flexibility for low or high and better resonance.

Reactions: RK1
Beech v birch aside, would you gentlemen go 70s Phonic (24,13,14,16) or modern SQ1 (20, 12, 14)?
I'd go 24, 13, 14, 16.
Guess I need to know what sizes the Phonic Plus kit is, then;)

Phonics are just too thick IMO.. they are around 9mm .... which is good for a kick.. but not toms IMO..

SQ1 are more medium at 7mm on the toms. .. Much more tuning flexibility for low or high and better resonance.
Toms are what I single out on a kit.

Toms are what I single out on a kit.

If you want to have much more flexibility on what the shell can do.. then SQ1 is your choice. .. Your Sonic shells are closer to SQ1 thickness.

Even though the Phonics are limited performance wise, They look incredibly cool and Sonor should of just left everything about the hardware for most of their current lines.. even the names.. I think they would of been even more successful than they currently are..

I have three Phonic kits in different sizes, 18, 12, 14; 20, 13, 16; and 22, 13, 14, 16. I use the bop size kit regularly in a kraut/psych rock band and love it.

The other two kits are bagged and rarely used.

Phonics are very special. Their sound to me is almost tympani like, very open. They are extremely heavy drums. They are also quite loud.

I don’t like the tune locks incorporated in their lugs. They make it difficult to tune them by finger tightening. Except for that and their excessive weight, I think they are phenomenally inspiring instruments.

They are very unlike thinner shelled kits.

/Magnus

Phonics all day long. I don't follow Sonor much but these definitely got my attention....their resale seems strong too. However, with thick shells, there are probably more optimal sizes than others. Interesting what @Magnus_N, because the small kits got my attention more

The SQ1 issues reported here have been rather surprising. It's too bad, otherwise a great value on paper

Phonics all day long. I don't follow Sonor much but these definitely got my attention....their resale seems strong too. However, with thick shells, there are probably more optimal sizes than others. Interesting what @Magnus_N, because the small kits got my attention more

The SQ1 issues reported here have been rather surprising. It's too bad, otherwise a great value on paper
Which issues?

I have three Phonic kits in different sizes, 18, 12, 14; 20, 13, 16; and 22, 13, 14, 16. I use the bop size kit regularly in a kraut/psych rock band and love it.
Since you already have a 20" bass drum ...... I'd go 24, 13, 14, 16.

Back