Phil Spector Dies...

opentune

Platinum Member
Search Jim Gordon on here. More than a few of our esteemed membership. I think they both ended up where they needed to be. Locked up.

Well, its been over 35 years, I think that's where the claim that 'he did his time' comes from. He did what he did at a time when schizo was not diagnosed much, let alone dealt with. Bipolar even less so.
Phil on the other hand threatened others with guns at frequent, regular intervals throughout his working life. We never read that of Jim Gordon.
I'd call these very different people and cases, and not really a double standard.
Either way, from what I've read Gordon will not stay on his meds and likely will never get out, and should not if that's the case.

Darth Vater

Well, its been over 35 years, I think that's where the claim that 'he did his time' comes from. He did what he did at a time when schizo was not diagnosed much, let alone dealt with. Bipolar even less so.
Phil on the other hand threatened others with guns at frequent, regular intervals throughout his working life. We never read that of Jim Gordon.
I'd call these very different people and cases, and not really a double standard.
Either way, from what I've read Gordon will not stay on his meds and likely will never get out, and should not if that's the case.

Ask Rita Coolidge about Jim Gordon's violent history. It's out there. You just may not have read about it. Bobby Whitlock of the Dominoes has recounted stories of drug use by Gordon. He said he was THE hardest partier he'd ever seen when on the road, especially when it came to cocaine use. Not a good mix if you're schizo or bi-polar. He was high as a kite the night he killed his mom by repeatedly clubbing her with a claw hammer until dead. Like you mentioned, he doesn't take his meds so he should stay where he's at. As for Spector, genius producer but a menace to society. I'm glad he got convicted for what he did to that poor young lady.

opentune

Platinum Member
Ask Rita Coolidge about Jim Gordon's violent history. It's out there. You just may not have read about it. Bobby Whitlock of the Dominoes has recounted stories of drug use by Gordon. He said he was THE hardest partier he'd ever seen when on the road, especially when it came to cocaine use. Not a good mix if you're schizo or bi-polar.
Yes have read about it. No guns though. A lot is ugly about many people, sometimes I look beyond that to their art, sometimes I cannot.
Back to topic, personally I'm am not a total fan of the 'Wall of Sound' anyway.

Darth Vater

Yes have read about it. No guns though. A lot is ugly about many people, sometimes I look beyond that to their art, sometimes I cannot.
Back to topic, personally I'm am not a total fan of the 'Wall of Sound' anyway.
I love the Spector produced Righteous Bros LPs.

Yamaha Rider

Er81GdYUcAA8QKc
Go, Macca! ☺

mpthomson

Schizophrenia has been known and well understood as an illness, including being diagnosed, since the 1890s. It's not a modern discovery. Pharmaceutical remedies have been available since 1950, when chlorpromazine appeared..

Bipolar disorder has been known and understood in terms of diagnosis since the 1850s.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
No respect for a wife abuser and murderer.
Fixed it.

While the anti-gun establishment is alive & well, people do more evil with everyday items.

He had his demons & sadly, his recording prowess didn't make up for his choices. :(

Reactions: J-W

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
More evil? Show me where somebody killed 50 people in a night club with a claw hammer. :rolleyes:

I won't turn Drummerworld into a political forum by having a discussion of the pros & cons of the 2nd Amendment.
We all have our individual feelings about firearms & we'll just let it go at that.

I just simply took the "gun" out of the equation so we could all focus on the music side of him.

My "everyday item" comment was simply to imply that I don't need a firearm to do evil.
That is all.

Darth Vater

I won't turn Drummerworld into a political forum by having a discussion of the pros & cons of the 2nd Amendment.
We all have our individual feelings about firearms & we'll just let it go at that.

I just simply took the "gun" out of the equation so we could all focus on the music side of him.

My "everyday item" comment was simply to imply that I don't need a firearm to do evil.
That is all.

That is all.
Well you did say "more evil". I'm out.

felonious69

More evil? Show me where somebody killed 50 people in a night club with a claw hammer. :rolleyes:
I know that every time I go to a mall, a church, a concert, a theater or a school, I bring along my 24 oz. rip hammer with six to ten extra high capacity clips.
Thoughts and prayers. Works every time.
/s/

opentune

Platinum Member
Yeah, good thing too. You can club your 72 year old mother with a claw hammer and then proceed to stab her to death with a butcher knife, but watch out for those guns......those things are dangerous!!!! :rolleyes:

I guess I touched a raw nerve there, but no political lobby was intended. Staple guns, box cutters, pen knives, and worst of all evil thoughts...are all potentially dangerous. I wonder though if people would have felt trapped in a studio by Phil Spector if he was wielding a staple gun, or sharp broken drum stick?

felonious69

I guess I touched a raw nerve there, but no political lobby was intended. Staple guns, box cutters, pen knives, and worst of all evil thoughts...are all potentially dangerous. I wonder though if people would have felt trapped in a studio by Phil Spector if he was wielding a staple gun, or sharp broken drum stick?
In such a case, a well placed Les Paul or Precision Bass could have ended the specter of Spector.