Phil Collins

The 5th Beatle in my book , great singer, song writer, performer, producer and yes drummer ..... I was just curious about this audience and how his drumming is perceived?

I'd say he's an all-time great as far as rock/pop drumming goes. His work with Genesis is splendid. As for his solo recordings, I'm not much of a fan. When he broke out on his own, he somewhat became a dentist's office entertainer.
A dentist's office entertainer!! Splendid. Wish I'd thought of that. Collins has his place and has provided a lot of good playing. Same with Mick Fleetwood whom I feel plays very well to the song at hand.

I just recently got into him since the 80’s. The sound of his drums alone let you know it’s him. His use of his toms are not only very rhythmic, they are also melodic.

I'd say he's an all-time great as far as rock/pop drumming goes. His work with Genesis is splendid. As for his solo recordings, I'm not much of a fan. When he broke out on his own, he somewhat became a dentist's office entertainer.

Some of his material, but definitely not In the Air Tonight, Take Me Home, and I Don’t Care Anymore.

Big fan of his playing with Genesis. I actually don't mind his solo stuff - and I think he was unfairly the poster boy of everything wrong with 80s pop music. He has a lot of wonderfully fun, catchy tunes on his solo record and I think as a whole any of us would be lucky to be that talented and have that kind of career.

He may not be the best drummer of all time - but since he's so much more than a drummer - I have a hard time saying anything bad about the guy.

He's my favorite drummer and I've been a huge fan since I was a kid. It might be a bit much if you're only a passing fan but his recent "Plays Well With Others" release is three discs of music that really shows off the wide variety of people he played drums with and the surprising range he has behind the kit. His instincts as a drummer and a musician in general are really unparalleled.

Last year I finally put together a Phil Collins tribute kit and I've had a blast playing his parts on the same set up he used. I've learned a lot about his phrasing and found a lot of his licks make so much more sense and fall under the sticks a lot more comfortably on his set up.

I have never gotten into him.

His personality and accent really grates on me.

I don't like his singing.

His drumming isn't my fave at all.......whilst I'm nowhere near his playing ability, I'm not fascinated by it.

His solo stuff is just awful.

I never got into Genesis or Brand X because I never liked their sound.

But he has legions of fans......so whatever he's been doing works!!!

I'm really sorry guys.......I tried to find some positives here, but I've never been able to with this guy.

Once, on a long road trip with friends, one of the time-killers was "name a Phil Collins song" and, damn, there are many.

This game also works well with Tom Petty. ;)

On topic, I like him as a drummer.

I'm a fan of Collin's drumming much more than his solo career as a singer. In fact, I much prefer his instrumental endeavors like the long intsrumentals that he did with Genesis and his stint with Brand X. In other words I'm a big fan of Phil Collins the drummer and not much of a fan of Phil Collins the pop star.

I'm a fan of Collin's drumming much more than his solo career as a singer. In fact, I much prefer his instrumental endeavors like the long intsrumentals that he did with Genesis and his stint with Brand X. In other words I'm a big fan of Phil Collins the drummer and not much of a fan of Phil Collins the pop star.

Maybe that's something that I am doing here...... associating too much with him as the "pop star" version of him.

Perhaps I need to really revisit his early Genesis and Brand X days.

Any recommendations for album choices to listen to for either Brand X or Genesis?

and I think he was unfairly the poster boy of everything wrong with 80s pop music.

Absolutely and unfair for many reasons three of which were-
At the time he was a mega star, revisionism, the fact he's an "easy target", and dare I say jealousy have subsequently rewritten "what he was" at the time.
There was a heck of a lot right with 80s music!
To build on TJKs admiration of Easy Lover, it's far easier to write a hit maudlin ballad than a hit uptempo "feelgood" song. Phil Collins could do both.

Back