Phil Collins - Thoughts

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
John Edginton Documentaries on YouTube is great thing to watch.

I love the interview with Chester Thompson when he talks about Phil being self taught and Phil Collins is it’s own style of drumming. IMO Phil is one of the most underrated drummers.

Same with Ringo. Replicating some of his fills is bizarrely challenging. The feel is just really hard to copy. I think that’s more common with self-taught players.

Sebenza

If one goes through this thread and listens to all the clips in it...I just don't see any possibility of not regarding PC as one of the most tasteful and original musician-drummers of the past 50 years.
If he were to be evaluated on his drumming alone, he'd deserve plenty of accolades, but the fact that he tacked on to that an entire singing and composing solo career that completely defies logic with him being a balding, short guy in an age where practically everything was about looks and marketability...myeah...Phil's the man, for sure!

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
If one goes through this thread and listens to all the clips in it...I just don't see any possibility of not regarding PC as one of the most tasteful and original musician-drummers of the past 50 years.
If he were to be evaluated on his drumming alone, he'd deserve plenty of accolades, but the fact that he tacked on to that an entire singing and composing solo career that completely defies logic with him being a balding, short guy in an age where practically everything was about looks and marketability...myeah...Phil's the man, for sure!

So how would his drumming have been different if he had had some really legit hand technique instruction like from Morello, etc.? Would it still have been as hard to copy the feel of, like he mentions in the video? Harder? Easier? Lol

Sebenza

So how would his drumming have been different if he had had some really legit hand technique instruction like from Morello, etc.? Would it still have been as hard to copy the feel of, like he mentions in the video? Harder? Easier? Lol
I doubt it would have a made a difference

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
Looking through thread I noted C.M. Jones and haven’t heard from him since Summer? Hope all is well with him.

Hewitt2

I bet he wouldn’t have suffered from arthritis as badly. But I agree, I don’t think his actual sound would be much different.

Phil has suffered from a litany of health issues the past 15-years, and arthritis is one of the very few that hasn't impacted his drumming.

Although it technically all started going downhill for him during the 2007 Genesis reunion tour (injured a vertebrae at the top of his neck), the preceding decades of poor technique (slouching posture, awkward layout of cymbals & drums, etc. ) combined with a breakneck recording/touring schedule are ultimately what did him in. Frankly, I'm impressed he hung in there as long as he did.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
Phil has suffered from a litany of health issues the past 15-years, and arthritis is one of the very few that hasn't impacted his drumming.

Although it technically all started going downhill for him during the 2007 Genesis reunion tour (injured a vertebrae at the top of his neck), the preceding decades of poor technique (slouching posture, awkward layout of cymbals & drums, etc. ) combined with a breakneck recording/touring schedule are ultimately what did him in. Frankly, I'm impressed he hung in there as long as he did.

I was lumping the neck-issue-due-to-posture in with the arthritis. Buddy effed up his neck the same way.