Phil Collins - Thoughts

alexson

He is one of the talented drummer and as well as singer. He achieved three UK and seven US number-one singles in his solo career

One and only "Another day in Paradise"! Truly Chrismas song for me as "Last Christmas" of Wham

Spreggy

Silver Member
He's always had a great voice on the drumset. Great taste and technique. My tastes run to the post-Gabriel-but-still-prog Genesis, and Brand X. But his career reads like four or five good music careers, just piles of accomplishments. The Earth, Wind and Phil stuff was a kick. And he changed the collective drum sound with his heavily gated sound that so many copied for a while.
This video is still great:

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Some issues of syncing audio track to drum camera but still a powerful song...

Last edited:

Hewitt2

Not a fan. I know he's a good drummer but his solo stuff seems corny to me.

Fair enough mate and certainly his poppiest moments tended to dominate the airwaves in the 80s, but there were pockets across all of his releases that went outside this unfortunate perception. Here are only a few examples of some great tunes that might provide deeper appreciation of his artistry.

Sebenza

Not a fan. I know he's a good drummer but his solo stuff seems corny to me.
Understandable. But the way I look at it is that his solo work only adds to his otherwise already mighty impressive resumé...
His work with Brand X and Genesis, alongside the various sideman gigs he did, is already enough to cement him as one of my greatest drumming heroes, but the fact that he also managed to become an absolute solo superstar, despite him being a balding short guy in a knitted tank top....yeah...that just makes him legendary for me...

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Only recently found that Phil also contributed (drums and backing vocals) to John Martyn records. Very different but lovely music.
Phil put out a boxed set a couple years back (Plays Well With Others) that is three whole discs of songs he played drums on with different artists, some of them are very unexpected. As Spreggy mentioned, Phil has a very distinctive voice on drums, even if it isn't the big gated reverb sound, and that comes through very clearly even on other people's songs. It's even more incredible that most of his guest drumming happened when he was also putting out a Genesis and/or solo album every year.

GretschedHive

Silver Member
Phil has a very distinctive voice on drums, even if it isn't the big gated reverb sound
Agreed. When I think of his drumming, this is the song that almost always first leaps to mind for me (other than the oft-posted and justly so "Nuclear Burn.")

The hi-hat barks, the ghost notes, the syncopation, the way he plays with and against the horn stabs, it's all so quintessentially PC, without really having that huge 80s sound for which he's best known.

jimb

Love, Cannot Beleive Its True...really takes me back to a time and place.
He became a poster boy for one simple reason , he's darn good at everything he does...and he had a lot of energy..so got things done but drumming wise when I think of PC all I really hear is ......ITATonite. He's a great musician and song writer but alot of Genesis and Brand X leaves me just a tad bored.

Hewitt2

Although EC is dealing with some minor PR issues these days (understatement of the year), the mid 80s incarnation of his group grooved especially hard.

Our man Phil here quietly in the back doing what he does best. Just those simple powerful backbeats to start the song give me goosebumps.

His signature hi-hat barks and offbeat crash placements give the song a nice punchy edge.

Many don’t know that he did quite a bit of this in the 80s and served as a touring drummer for the likes of Robert Plant also.

GretschedHive

Silver Member
Saw this tour outside Washington DC. Our seats were to PC's left, just a few rows back. And since at the time Clapton and Collins were two of my absolute very favorite artists, it was one of the most enjoyable concerts I've ever seen. Greg Phillinganes and Nathan East are monster players and having a small band forced Clapton—as it does pretty much any artist in that position—to work harder.

I remember having no idea what song the opener was until he started singing, and then felt like an idiot for not recognizing it, but still being just delighted as the rest of the band sauntered onstage. Still one of my favorite PC performances.

V-Four

Although EC is dealing with some minor PR issues these days (understatement of the year), the mid 80s incarnation of his group grooved especially hard.

Our man Phil here quietly in the back doing what he does best. Just those simple powerful backbeats to start the song give me goosebumps.

His signature hi-hat barks and offbeat crash placements give the song a nice punchy edge.

Many don’t know that he did quite a bit of this in the 80s and served as a touring drummer for the likes of Robert Plant also.
Im not a huge Phil Phan, But I can respect the bloke. I mean, He's talented enough to become the superstar that he is.

So, Im watchin the Crossroads vid here, and cant help but notice.. his hats are on the "wrong side" ;)

Is he a left-handed drummer? :unsure: Cuz his drums are setup.."Correctly" :LOL:

EDIT: I rewatched the vid. I musta saw it wrong, his set is total lefty.. :oops:

T$

Last edited:

cbphoto

Diamond Member

That’s really cool. I had no idea Collins drummed for Clapton or anyone else besides Genesis or his solo stuff.

someguy01

Platinum Member
A cheesy fav that lives in the rotation:

JimmyM

Platinum Member
Im not a huge Phil Phan, But I can respect the bloke. I mean, He's talented enough to become the superstar that he is.

So, Im watchin the Crossroads vid here, and cant help but notice.. his hats are on the "wrong side" ;)

Is he a left-handed drummer? :unsure: Cuz his drums are setup.."Correctly" :LOL:

Not sure whats up with all that...

T$
He’s a lefty.