Phil Collins health

JohnnyG

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
Phil Collins says he is no longer able to play the drums due to health issues.
The musician, who is 70, appeared on BBC Breakfast with his Genesis band members to promote the group's reunion tour, and Collins said his son, Nic Collins, will be drumming with the band going forward.
As for not drumming, Collins said, "I'd love to but you know, I mean, I can barely hold a stick with this hand. So there are certain physical things that get in the way."
He admitted that he'd love to be up there playing with his son, saying, "I'm kind of physically challenged a bit which is very frustrating because I'd love to be playing up there with my son." Instead, he will will sing with the band.

When this upcoming tour, delayed because of the coronavirus pandemic, ends, Collins isn't sure if he'll be touring any longer.
"We're all men of our age, and I think to some extent, I think it probably is putting it to bed," he said. "I think yeah, I think just generally for me, I don't know if I want to go out on the road anymore."

He's struggled for quite some time now. I read an interview in which he cited spinal problems as the primary culprit. By his own account, years of poor posture behind the kit have led to nerve-related complications. Physical therapy seems to have done him little good. Though the feats of modern medicine are impressive, some conditions are inevitably chronic.

And boy, was his posture weird! Why did he do that to himself?
He's struggled for quite some time now. I read an interview in which he cited spinal problems as the primary culprit. By his own account, years of poor posture behind the kit have led to nerve-related complications. Physical therapy seems to have done him little good. Though the feats of modern medicine are impressive, some conditions are inevitably chronic.

I think it’s ok if he (or they) retire. They’ve had a great run at this music thing. It’s funny because we all remember his videos from the 80s thinking he’s still in that same shape when that was 40 YEARS ago now. And they’d been at it at least 15 years before then!

Take it easy Phil!

I have ,just recently seen drummers who use the attached back rest. Does that get used much/help?
I have back issues I don't want to see get worse.

I read his biography and he said one of his health problems happened after his doctor started prescribing cortisone for joint aches and pains. The side effect he talked about was that his bones got very brittle and this only led to other health issues. It’s amazing he was able to still create music (I believe this was during his time working for Disney and preparing the Lion King for Broadway).

I have ,just recently seen drummers who use the attached back rest. Does that get used much/help?
I have back issues I don't want to see get worse.
Yes the backrest helps!. Lower back issues here. Read the book your bodies many cries for water. Do internet research on joint and spinal health. The older we get diet is huge...but quality water is life or death.

...but quality water is life or death.
No doubt.

As is the quality of breath.

I love Phil, but he's always reminded me of someone who doesn't take care of his well being...

...if he's listening, it's never too late to start.

At least we still have his 70s catalogue Genesis and Brand X. Some of the best prog rock drumming about.

He's not looked a well man for a long time now. As for touring I guess divorces don't pay for themselves!

None of this health info is really new. He has been experiencing health issues since 2007 when he last went out on tour with Genesis, incurring nerve damage in which he damaged vertebrae in his upper neck.

For his "Going Back" album in 2010 he had to tape the drumsticks to his hands so he could play.

Interestingly, in the recent "The Last Domino" PBS documentary, Mike Rutherford said Phil was physically capable of playing but would need to commit himself to rebuilding the muscles and technique to play. Phil's son and current drummer of the band Nick suggested something similar.

Even if this is true, at this point in his life, and given the multitude of personal and physical issues that are swirling around him, I'm not sure if it's worth it to Phil to go through all of that for what looks like to be a last hurrah.

I've never understood these cats that play from a crouch. Same thing with people who sit low rider style with there knees above their hips. That can't be good either.

I remember some time after his career decline, stories started coming out about Phil being mean, maybe even abusive. He vanished for a while. Then he came forward about the intense physical pain he was in, and the pain medication. While it doesn’t excuse any bad behavior, most of us get mean and angry when we’re in pain.

One of my favorite episodes of Joe Wong’s “The Trap Set” is an interview with Phil Collins back in 2017. It’s a very personal conversation. At one point Collins talks about his touring reservations at that time but that’s a small part. The whole interview is fantastic.

Trap Set Interview

Phils' back problems were not all entirely bad posture. He had a serious fall, one that really set his back problems in motion.
If one examines the late 70's through 80's, there is nobody as active on the kit and playing with so many people on so many records, while also being a solo artist and in a major band. His time and energy spent there was enough for 2 careers. Clearly his body is used up.
Hard to see him struggle. Very evident he is going back out on the road for financial reasons, given such a bad experience with marriages.

When I watch Phil play drums I don't see bad posture. Although I have not found a good video of his overall posture when he was playing.
Would someone please explain to me what was wrong with his posture.

Very evident he is going back out on the road for financial reasons, given such a bad experience with marriages.
While I'm sure the money will be very welcome, I think he--like the other members, like so many performers--is still driven by that deep need to perform, even well past the point of diminish returns.

When I watch Phil play drums I don't see bad posture. Although I have not found a good video of his overall posture when he was playing.
Would someone please explain to me what was wrong with his posture.

I agree with you, but many who cite that show this kind of image. It appears the snare way below his knees and so on. We can dig up equally old pics of Steve Smith or Vinnie, with bad posture, but they both have incredible posture now. Perhaps more awareness now.
Phil's problems had more to do than just posture.
I agree he's a driven guy and seeing him in these Last Domino rehearsals shows that.

unnamed.jpg

I agree with you, but many who cite that show this kind of image. It appears the snare way below his knees and so on. We can dig up equally old pics of Steve Smith or Vinnie, with bad posture, but they both have incredible posture now. Perhaps more awareness now.
Phil's problems had more to do than just posture.
I agree he's a driven guy and seeing him in these Last Domino rehearsals shows that.

View attachment 108410
Yes. I'm thinking everyone is different as far as what kind of and how much abuse their bodies can tolerate.
Some people can do the same repetitive activity for 50 years. And some people can't do that same repetitive activity for 50 years.
I have very bad posture, but I never played drums all that much after age 25. At age 65 I have started to play all the time.

Back