Phil Collins at the U.S. Open - retro drums

Cool!

I have always liked a lot of Phil Collins tunes. Good to see him back in it again.
Looks like his son plays the drums really well.

(My only complaint is that the snare drum sounded like a trash can.)

Cool!

I have always liked a lot of Phil Collins tunes. Good to see him back in it again.
Looks like his son plays the drums really well.

(My only complaint is that the snare drum sounded like a trash can.)

I agree - the snare sounded less than stellar. But it's nice to see Phill Collins out there.

I really hope this leads to more performing.

I also think it's worth mentioning that even for a two song set Phil came in with the whole band and wasn't just singing to a backing track or lip syncing the whole thing.

As for the snare drum, I think it has that typical "piccolo tuned too low" sound. It might be time for him to pull out one of his old 8" deep snares if he's going to keep the drums tuned lower like he has been.

Agreed - Phil looked increasingly comfortable during his mini-set and appeared to be having actual fun by the end of it. It sounded to me like Leslie Odom was out of tune for Easy Lover, though.

As good as his son was, Chester and Phil double-drumming to In the Air Tonight is impossible to top. It would be so great if Phil could get back on the drums!

The whole things sounds bad. The other singer doing the harmony on top/lead is flat very often and way too loud compared to PC who should be louder. Like others have said, the snare sounds horrible as well.

Easy Lover was really slow. That song needs the right tempo to pop.

I wasn't going to say, but, I agree. It really dragged in tempo and energy.

I don't want to turn this into a bash Phil Collins thread, because I like his music.
Must be the way they were playing Easy Lover. Maybe less energy. Because it's only about 3 BPM slower than the original.

No PC bashing. He is an amazing artist who deserves lots of respect.

But, there were a few different variables that led to that being a flat play of a great tune.

I hope he does more live shows. He has been vague when asked about touring plans. I'm sure he does something, it will be very, very successful.

I thought he quit drumming because of a neck issue that produced a motor deficit and loss of hand function? Crap I should have followed the link-I strike again.

Last edited:
Thought "In The Air Tonight" was much better done. "Easy Lover" suffered from bad harmonies and off tempo. His son looks very comfortable behind the set; hope to see more of him, and in situations where he's able to show more of his own identity as a player. (But hey, he finally turned the kit right way round!)

I thought he quit drumming because of a neck issue that produced a motor deficit and loss of hand function? Crap I should have followed the link-I strike again.

I think he might have recovered now, but I'm not positive. I know he has made statements about being able to drum again, but he said he'd have to put in the work to get back into shape.

I think he might have recovered now, but I'm not positive. I know he has made statements about being able to drum again, but he said he'd have to put in the work to get back into shape.

In recent-ish interviews Phil's said his doctors have told him that playing drums is up to him now. Apparently (hopefully) the nerve problems he's been suffering are corrected. I think his foot is still numb, though, or at least still on the way to healing.

It's a little hard to be totally objective about his performance level knowing that he's 65, partially deaf, and has had significant nerve damage he's still recovering from...yet he's still willing and able to put himself out there.

I've been a huge fan of his for 30 years, and I'm glad to see him back.

Funny how his son, aside from setting the kit up right handed, sets it up exactly the same as Phil did. Quite obviously using one of dad's kits too.

Phil's boy was great! Man, he was faithful to the original recording. Very impressed.

Phil was great.. The other dude that you could tell was trying to hit Phillip Bailey's notes was horrendous and absolutely destroyed a great song. Why Phil couldn't have found someone that could hit some Phillip Bailey highs is beyond me.

Other than that, sounded good except for the aforementioned trash can snare (which I agree with).

Back