Pets and drums

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
The thread about drumming & dogs got me thinking: Anyone have pets that hinder your practice?
Here's a pic of my late basset hound laying across my pedals. At the time, I had all quiet gear on my kit & he wasn't bothered by it.
Then after a time, he started doing this.
No real issue as I'd just give him his due attention and he'd go sleep (shocker, huh).

But I've heard from some other drummers that they have pets that seem to try & get them to stop.
Anyone here have this issue?

fullsizeoutput_a7.jpeg

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
My wife and I trained our two Golden Retrievers not to enter the rehearsal room primarily so they wouldn't knock anything over. But they can hang with me next door in the studio every day where I have my editing bay. Here's a shot of them outside the rehearsal room chilling.

We also have several "guard" snakes throughout the house. This is my youngest daughter's 4-1/2-foot Amber Corn Snake, Skitch, (pictured below) inside his hide. Skitch has resided in this rehearsal room for 16 years. Snakes can't hear (they have no ears) but it's entertaining to glance over at him when I'm practicing and watch him reacting to the vibrations he senses from the drums and cymbals. Skitch has never interfered with my practice. He always has some serious mojo going on when I'm playing.

Tails.jpg

Skitch.jpg

J-W

No pics but our cat used to sleep in my bass drum...

Mine too. It was always quite the spectacle watching him squeeze 20lbs of cat into that 5" port hole. It was about 15" off the floor so when he was half way in, his back legs would just kick away at nothing but air while he wriggled his way in. :D

IMG_0347.JPG

I have microphones blocking them now, but he still tries to hinder my practice. First off, if I tell him "I'm going to play for a little bit" he does a pouty meow and walks to the quietest room guilt-trip whining the whole time. It's a surprisingly effective tactic.
Or I just find him sitting on my throne.

IMG_7732a.jpg