Pet peeve regarding drum sizes.

I'm pretty old School with sizes generally, But I just put a set together with 22 by 14 Bass... 13 by 9 rack ...14 by 14 floor and 16 by 14 floor. it's pretty darn good..
I bought the kit without knowing what is supposed to be standard sizes but it's a 1973 Tama Star so I have 10X7, 12X8, 13X9, like you, I like it a lot, 16X16 and 22X14, so, was it the standard sizes at that time? And what are they called now?

I bought the kit without knowing what is supposed to be standard sizes but it's a 1973 Tama Star so I have 10X7, 12X8, 13X9, like you, I like it a lot, 16X16 and 22X14, so, was it the standard sizes at that time? And what are they called now?
For 1973, those were standard sizes. I still regard them as standard now, but nothing is as clear as it once was.

Technically, the shallower rack toms (7x10, 8x12, etc.) with square floor toms (14x14, 16x16, etc.) are referred to as "traditional" sizes. I'm pretty sure that also applies to 14" deep bass drums as well.

According to DW, "standard" sizes are really more like power tom sizes for rack toms (9x10, 10x12, etc.) but shallower for floor toms (12x14, 14x16, etc.). Then their "FAST" sizes are right in the middle for rack toms (8x10, 9x12, etc.), but even shallower for floor toms—11x14, 13x16, etc. Go figure.

Personally, I like traditional size toms and floor toms paired with 16" deep bass drums. That's what I have for all of my kits, with the only outlier being the 18x22 kick on my gigging kit. I'm seriously thinking about having it cut down to 16".

I would think that if someone was buying a new, modern day kit that they'd either want standard or fast size toms. Why is it that I see all these kits with a mix of both? If the rack toms are 10x8 and 12x9 why is the floor tom 16x14? Same with the racks being 10x7 and 12x8 with a full 16x16 size floor tom. Makes no sense to me. Tama Star Walnut = short racks and square floor.
This is an easy one for me. A floor tom (IMO) isn't merely a lower pitched tom on legs, it is it's own type of tom with it's own characteristics. I'm gonna want a 16 or 18" floor tom to move some air, like a kick does, but with the tone and sustain of a tom.

Bo's new Design series = standard racks and short floors. I mean c'mon, make up our minds please

Now that is just weird.

If it really bothers you DW will make any sizes you want (within reason). So will Inde

I'm speaking less about custom orders and more about off the rack type kits. Is it asking too much for a little standardization when It comes to $1500-2500 range kits? I'm betting the accountants have something to with it. If you want to ruin a good business, let the accountant make the creative decisions.

This is an easy one for me. A floor tom (IMO) isn't merely a lower pitched tom on legs, it is it's own type of tom with it's own characteristics. I'm gonna want a 16 or 18" floor tom to move some air, like a kick does, but with the tone and sustain of a tom.
My views on floor toms exactly. Mature sizes start at 16"x16". Anything smaller sounds like a floor tom trapped in puberty.

My views on floor toms exactly. Mature sizes start at 16"x16". Anything smaller sounds like a floor tom trapped in puberty.

I'm okay with 16X14 , 18X16. I feel like manufacturers work with those 2 inches to get their particular FT to sound and tune best.

Best of all worlds????

Premier Projector - 22x16, 24x14, 12x10, 13x11, 16x15.
Yamaha RC - 22x16, 10x9, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16.
Pearl Masters - 22x18, 10x8, 12x9, 16x16.
Mapex Saturn V - 22x20, 10x7, 12x8, 14x12, 16x14.

Think I have everything covered :) I tend to mix & match when recording.

Best of all worlds????

Premier Projector - 22x16, 24x14, 12x10, 13x11, 16x15.
Yamaha RC - 22x16, 10x9, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16.
Pearl Masters - 22x18, 10x8, 12x9, 16x16.
Mapex Saturn V - 22x20, 10x7, 12x8, 14x12, 16x14.

Think I have everything covered :) I tend to mix & match when recording.
You indeed have ! I’m surprised by the Projector shorten floor ? Your RC has got the same size as my Signia, I think it’s the best for a five piece kit minus the 13 Tom.

I'm speaking less about custom orders and more about off the rack type kits. Is it asking too much for a little standardization when It comes to $1500-2500 range kits? I'm betting the accountants have something to with it. If you want to ruin a good business, let the accountant make the creative decisions.
Manufacturers make decisions based largely on what sells. They equate “what sells” with “what customers want”. So in their eyes what you want isn’t what mainstream customers want. That’s why some companies are custom houses. You can buy a custom sized kit from Inde for the low end of your price range. I have done custom kits from both DW and from Inde.

You indeed have ! I’m surprised by the Projector shorten floor ? Your RC has got the same size as my Signia, I think it’s the best for a five piece kit minus the 13 Tom.
Both the Projector kits I owned had 16x15's :love:

Yes, not a fan of the 13 I have to say so, it usually stays at home :)

Manufacturers make decisions based largely on what sells. They equate “what sells” with “what customers want”. So in their eyes what you want isn’t what mainstream customers want. That’s why some companies are custom houses. You can buy a custom sized kit from Inde for the low end of your price range. I have done custom kits from both DW and from Inde.
I'd go Sonor before DW if I wanted custom sizes but luckily my Prolite kit comes with standard size toms. 10x8,12x9, 16x16. That's one of the reasons I bought it along with the killer Vintage Maple (ultra thin 4mm w/ 2mm re-rings) shells. Prolites are basically an SQ2 w/ Vintage Maple Shells minus the twisty bits on the kick tension rods and the funky adjuster on the tom mounts. Finishes are limited but if that means me saving 2 to 3 grand over an SQ2, count me in.

Does Inde even make their own shells? I'm less inclined to buy from smaller boutique style companies in that many usually go out of business at some point. I give them credit though for their willingness to customize sizes. That's definitely a good thing.

nope! have to disagree there! same with 10" small toms they have a place beyond puberty..
I hear you. I'm mostly kidding, of course. I get everything I need from a 12", 16", 22" configuration and have no interest in making a change. If I wanted a larger kit, a 14" on the floor might be a useful addition, but expansion isn't something I'm after. The fewer drums I have to transport and maintain, the better.

My 14x16 floor tom sounds every bit as good as my 16x16. Personally, I wouldn't get too hung up on floor tom depth. Rack toms are a different story since positioning is a consideration. Floor toms, not so much.

Last edited:
thats exactly whats putting me off getting a new kit. i dont like short rack toms or short floor toms, i like them decent sized, like my current tama is 10x8, 12x9, 13x10, 14x11, 18x16. and those sizes work for me. i dont want to buy a new mapex or yamaha or sonor or whatever and get a 16x14 floor tom, its too short and means i would have to lower my seat height to reach it comfortably.

Back