Perhaps Silly Bearing Edge Question

RobertM

Platinum Member
I have been thinking about how Sonor has undersized shells and uses sharp 45 degree bearing edges (except for the Vintage Series, obv). Many have described the Sonor shell as having a tympani-like resonance and feel because of the undersize mixed with the sharp edge.

Would a Spaun Drum double 45 degree bearing edge act similarly to a Sonor shell, then, to a degree? I don't think Spaun's shells are undersized like Sonor, but since the double 45 edges would move the contact point closer to the flat surface of the drum head, it got me wondering if that would line up like a Sonor edge.

Any thoughts?

I believe most shells are slightly undersized nowadays. Our snare drums are a bit more undersized than average for just this reason. Our 55 degree edge with a slight hand sanded back edge lands the apex of the bearing edge nicely on the flat section of the head. Lending to a wide open sound. Much like timpani.

Example of undersized shells.

Attachments

• 20220708_173837.jpg
    20220708_173837.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 20220819_161541.jpg
    20220819_161541.jpg
    899 KB · Views: 20
Precision drums double 45'd a 10x12 Signia drum after trueing the edges. I didn't request it they thought it best for the drum for added resonance (openness). WRONG edge for that drum. A local played a Spaun dual 45 kit...i was never impressed with his kit. Sonor?..till the day I die (phonic) that is has no equal..zero..none..zilch..negative. Happy Thanksgiving you crazy mofo's. I'm heading out to my fiances Aunt and Uncle's feast in their ritzy mansion in a ritzy neighborhood but I'm a big loner and leaving will be better than arriving sad to say. I wanted to start up my air fryer cooking a 4 lb breast..mashed taters and green bean casserole with a 6 of Toppling Goliaths soul stealer IPA and crash at home. Now I have to behave myself and small talk for 5 hours. 😥.

Here is a Gretsch USA Custom set with double 45 bearing edges on the toms and snare:

I am guessing that the apex of the edge contacting the drum head is gumwood, because Gretsch shell is M/G/G/G/G/M. Sounds pretty good to my ears--a bit of a variation on the 30-degree Gretsch sound, not the same but very close on the spectrum, as it were.

Last edited:
Reactions: kdh
Hovland: Is your company's website working?
We are in the process of building a new one. Should be rolling it out in January, 2023. Shooting some product demos in early December.

We are on Instagram,YouTube and Twitter.

Here is a Gretsch USA Custom set with double 45 bearing edges on the toms and snare:

I am guessing that the apex of the edge contacting the drum head is gumwood, because Gretsch shell is M/G/G/G/G/M. Sounds pretty good to my ears--a bit of a variation on the 30-degree Gretsch sound, not the same but very close on the spectrum, as it were.
Nice drums and drumming!

I have been thinking about how Sonor has undersized shells and uses sharp 45 degree bearing edges (except for the Vintage Series, obv). Many have described the Sonor shell as having a tympani-like resonance and feel because of the undersize mixed with the sharp edge.

Would a Spaun Drum double 45 degree bearing edge act similarly to a Sonor shell, then, to a degree? I don't think Spaun's shells are undersized like Sonor, but since the double 45 edges would move the contact point closer to the flat surface of the drum head, it got me wondering if that would line up like a Sonor edge.

Any thoughts?
I answered the question as best I could in the other thread. It's a matter of geometry.

Now that's out of the way, here's another silly bearing edge question:

Why is the profile closer to the outside of the shell and not straight up the inner wall? Inside the inner wall is where everything happens. Make it responsible for holding the edge. This would also move the edge in more towards the flat part of the head.

To me they sound quite nice nice tone and sustain but a 45 degree only on one side sound fuller in overall tones especially the low end thats my ears.

Last edited:
I answered the question as best I could in the other thread. It's a matter of geometry.

Why is the profile closer to the outside of the shell and not straight up the inner wall? Inside the inner wall is where everything happens. Make it responsible for holding the edge. This would also move the edge in more towards the flat part of the head.
Just shooting from the hip here, but I think shell thickness variations would prohibit a universal fit head if that were the case, and the different angles the head would have to conform to would come into play as well.

Just shooting from the hip here, but I think shell thickness variations would prohibit a universal fit head if that were the case, and the different angles the head would have to conform to would come into play as well.
I dunno, maybe. There will be some point where the edge is too far in for sure. I dont think a normal thickness shell is going to breech that threshold. I cant make a drum (yet) so have no way of knowing for sure.

Any of you phonic users out there...if I'm not impressed with Mapex Orion shells (very thick) or Pearls original reference shells would there be a discernable difference. Of all the drums I've test driven over the decades I've not once ran into a phonic kit.

You mean like this?smallTomBearingEdge.jpg

Back