Performance Reviews

bearblastbeats

Hey guys,

I typically would put this on a different forum, but figured I'd ask more like minded folk here.

I have my review next week at my current job. I have been here for one year and am anticipating a sizeable raise up to or above 10%.

A little back story.. I was a Project Manager for an AEC firm making $73k, my girl was due to have our first child so I looked for employment that was, 1) closer to home (not over an hour commute each way), and 2) allowed me to be home every night instead of flying around the country and staying in hotels 1 week a month.

This time last year I took an estimating position at a Arch. Millwork Firm about 20 minute from my house. It's been a decent place to work. I get along well with my constituents and superiors, I also am home every night before 5:30-6. When I took the job I ended up at $67,500, which being the main breadwinner of the family, was a hit to our monthly income.

Fast forward, since my inception here, I have learned a great deal about this industry. I have also standardized a lot of the processes we do here internally via the Network drive. I created an actual Network Job Folder Concept. (this doesn't sound like a big deal, but when I came here they used one main folder to house everything.)

I also have learned their programs in which they consider me a whiz and/or expert at, most other coworkers come to me with questions. I feel like I made a good postion here since this was a new position created for me. The VP of the company was the main estimator, on top of running the business, so I came in and am more or less his right hand man. I have also landed a few decent $100k jobs despite the recent turn of events with COVID.

I bring this up because, today I saw that my paycheck was $45 more than I typically get for two weeks pay. Doing the math, that is just about 3%.

So I ask my brothers and sisters here here, am I just to consider myself exceptional and to bring up at my review next week that I am considering starting at an 18% to account for what I've done here? I would settle at about 8% which would bring me back to where I was before I took this job.

If the 3% I see in my account is accurate, I may have to look for another job.

Communicate with your boss. Don’t argue, don’t blame, don’t bring any heat, just communicate.
That means to listen as well as talk.

Or you could move to Illinois and work for the state where they just bumped everyone’s pay and benefits regardless that they’re bringing in far less tax dollars due to the pandemic and the mass exodus of taxpayers.

Was that $45 gross or net? It sounds like it's net, based on my math and estimating taxes, gross 3% of the stated salary is $66.35 based on 26 pay periods.

If it's NOT gross, I'd ask about if payroll made a calculation change on deductions or if there was a reduction in cost any insurances/benefits or if somehow your 401(k) percentage was decreased. Look into "discrimination testing" as you may be considered a highly compensated employee at your organization or the overall participation rate skewed things. - https://www.guideline.com/blog/nond...IRS 401,Actual Deferral Percentage (ADP) test

I worked for 15 years at my last job and stated getting 3 percent raised annually and the last 5 years averaged about 2 percent. If you are surviving Covid-19, your company I mean, feel lucky. I also found out that doing more to get more, only got me asked to take on more for the same money.

I'll be able to check my pay stub tomorrow when we get them (I get early DD).

The weird thing is this, I have $50 left for a personal loan my boss gave me. So, this was supposed to be the last pay cycle which they took te $50. If I am considering that, it would be closer to a 5% pay increase, once my true pay checks come back +$50.

But why would they give me a merit increase prior to my review next week? Regardless, I still plan to negotiate.

If you like your job and you enjoy your boss and co-workers, that’s HUGE. I’d stick with it, unless you have a burning passion for another field, or you dislike your boss or colleagues.

If you like your job and you enjoy your boss and co-workers, that’s HUGE. I’d stick with it, unless you have a burning passion for another field, or you dislike your boss or colleagues.

Yea true, I did do a lot of job hopping last year trying to get the right fit. Honestly, this job is easy-peasy in comparison to others I've had.

I was 40 before I found a job that really paid a living wage. And I make about the same as you do. I’d stick with what you got.

Well, come to find out the different in my check was because QB didn't register the last $50 I owe, and the dental insurance I have gave us a covid relief, so the didnt deduct that from our checks.

Make sure your review is actually your review. One of the last reviews I got before retiring, my boss had written that I was "the face of the dept." Meaning if people wanted something simple they would come to me first. That description was on the copy my boss gave me to read along as he talked with me. However, I saw later on, that the copy he sent to division didn't have that language in it. So he was blowing smoke to make me feel good, since at the time 2-3% was about all we could look forward to. I never brought it up to him. No need.

I also found out that doing more to get more, only got me asked to take on more for the same money.

This is a common outcome in many workplaces. Often, promotion has little to do with pure productivity. Extreme caution should be practiced when volunteering to take on additional responsibilities. What you hope will be rewarded as a spirit of industry could merely been exploited as a wide-eyed receptiveness to doing more than your share. Monetary prizes don't always follow. And once you've accepted more duties, attempting to disengage from them could be frowned upon.

Talk to your boss about it, and be nice if you can.

Is the $400+ deficit in your check worth having an easy job, a good boss, and living close to home as opposed to spending quality time in hotels and on planes?

I know what my answer would be, but only you can answer this for yourself.

Talk to your boss about it, and be nice if you can.

Is the $400+ deficit in your check worth having an easy job, a good boss, and living close to home as opposed to spending quality time in hotels and on planes?

I know what my answer would be, but only you can answer this for yourself.

We actually just got out of the review. They gave me an increase of $3000. It's pretty fair for a small business of 38 employees. He mentioned that I'm on par where he wants me to be and he likes that I take interest and initiative in things like the folder and project structure, aside from my actual job. I also mentioned I'd like to consider upward trajectory as the company grows and may become a Director of Estimating or some other lead role in the company. As I mentioned before, they made this position for me so the VP doesn't do all the estimating.

I asked if the raise was negotiable and gave him my options but he responds with "I'd love to buy everyone a new house and give great raises but I'm trying to run a business".

But for now, I have a job, and healthy baby, a beautiful wife to be, a home that is not falling down and my health.

Cheers.

We actually just got out of the review. They gave me an increase of $3000. It's pretty fair for a small business of 38 employees. He mentioned that I'm on par where he wants me to be and he likes that I take interest and initiative in things like the folder and project structure, aside from my actual job. I also mentioned I'd like to consider upward trajectory as the company grows and may become a Director of Estimating or some other lead role in the company. As I mentioned before, they made this position for me so the VP doesn't do all the estimating.

I asked if the raise was negotiable and gave him my options but he responds with "I'd love to buy everyone a new house and give great raises but I'm trying to run a business".

But for now, I have a job, and healthy baby, a beautiful wife to be, a home that is not falling down and my health.

Cheers.

Any raise is a good raise in my book. Good job!

Back