People with 26" bass drums: WTF do you drive?

You should look at a Ford Focus Hatchback. Compact car, dependable, great gas mileage, and lots of cargo room in the back. It'll easily fit a 26" bass, and I wouldn't be surprised if it fits an entire bonzo kit, or close to it. There might be other cars in this category that will work as well. A Honda Fit is even smaller, but it might work too.

Ford Focus Hatchback cargo space
pT1Z43Q.png

Last edited:
I used to get a 26x20 into my old Corsa without any problems at all and that thing was a matchbox.

You can get a 5 piece with a 26" bass drum into most cars.

I have an estate now but only use a 20" or 22" bass drum now.

Toyota Matrix!

Super-easy to park
AWD (while it doesn't have the clearance, it goes BETTER in the snow than my old chevy full size 4x4 did)
Great gas mileage
Oh, and I can get a full PA system AND a 4-piece kit in it with room for a passenger. I'm sure you wouldn't have any issues with a 26" kick.

35283665_10217022541176291_4184880536809897984_n.jpg

My friends call me the King of Parallel Parking. :)

So I learned how to parallel park before getting my license (93 I think). It wasn't on the test here. I've done it maybe 3 times since. No one here understands how to do it correctly. I do not envy you at all sir.

I semi-regularly gig a 14/18/26" kit (26" in a hard case, large hardware hard case, 24" hard cymbal case, and soft bags for everything else) and I drive Hyundai Elantra Touring.

It's a compact wagon, has over 65 cubic feet with the second row seats folded - more than a Mazda CX-5 and similar crossovers. I have also gigged with a "full bonzo" dual floor tom setup in the past and this fits easily as well. It's front wheel drive though, and was only sold in the US from 2010 - 2012 so not the easiest vehicle to find.

A Subaru Outback or Crosstrek hatcback might be a good option for you as they are very easy to come by, get decent gas milage, are easy to park, and have AWD - plus the brand consistently earns top marks from the like of Consumer Reports etc. for reliability and long-term owner satisfaction. I know quite a few Subaru owners myself and they all have nothing but good things to say about them.

Maybe just make a deal with some kid who owns a nice kit. Tell him you’ll pay him x-amount if dollars to have his kit ready for you at pre-arranged shows. Then you just show up, play, then leave. I’d do that in a heartbeat ?

That Elon Musk contraption should do everything you're asking of it.
There's also the Ford Escape Hybrid all wheel drive.
I drive a Honda Element 4wd around Boston and it's nice, but they don't make them anymore. It only does 21mpg.
I'm in the same buying thoughts.
My soon to be next vehicle might be a Jeep Renegade or Ford Ranger because I want an oversand permit to drive the Cape beaches with a BBQ grill and do overnight surfcasting. I'll need real 4wd.
Most cars will hold your 26 bass drum. Just use clear heads and don't use a case. You can put it in the front seat. Probably.

I once heard someone use the expression, "Nothing good has ever happened in a minivan."

But yeah, I use a Sienna minivan.

Those people are boring. I'll keep it G but I've many a good time in a minivan. Lots more space.

I'm on my 3rd minivan and that fits the 26, 14, 16, 18 kit nicely and much more.

My Caddy SRX will haul pretty much any size hit. Fitting that on the stage however is a whole other story. Anything above a 24" is WAY too boomy & uncontrollable for me.

I used to play a kit with a 26" bass drum. I had a Bonham Vistalite, and a Classic Maple. It was cool for a time, but I am over it. The biggest kick I would rock these days is either a 24" or 22". That big BOOM sound is cool, but it doesn't do you many favors with control or punch. These are just my subjective observations.

Now... For vehicle. Get a used Toyota 4Runner. They offer 4wd, plenty of room for storage, ready for adventure, has better clearance than a Subi, and can be found for a reasonable amount of coin. I am fond of older Toyotas though, so I do confess bias. I am particularly like the 3rd gens, 1996-2002 personally, but 4th or even 5th gens are not bad if you can swing it. Check out T4R.org as it is a fantastic forum based collection of information that is made by a collaboration for enthusiasts. Good luck!

I can get my kit in a Kia Soul.
18x26" bass drum, 3 floor toms. snare case, pedal, cymbal, hardware bags.
I do not use cases (other than the 2 snares) to haul this in the Soul.
The back seats fold FLAT.
In one band I use a 16x26 13,16,18 and it is NO problem to fit it in the Soul.
Great gas mileage, and my Soul has 212K on it with no issues.

When I used the cases and all that, I used our mini-van.

You should look at a Ford Focus Hatchback. Compact car, dependable, great gas mileage, and lots of cargo room in the back. It'll easily fit a 26" bass, and I wouldn't be surprised if it fits an entire bonzo kit, or close to it. There might be other cars in this category that will work as well. A Honda Fit is even smaller, but it might work too.

Ford Focus Hatchback cargo space
pT1Z43Q.png
I'll second this also.
I had one of these and these have a TON of space.

Back