Pedal spring replacement frequency

rocker261

How often do you replace the springs on your kick pedals? Is it by time elapsed, when they start to feel sloppy, or any other factors? If you're a double kick player, do you find the dominantly used pedal getting sloppier before the secondary?

Always have a spare spring in your stick bag's pocket, and better still, if you have a backup pedal, keep it nearby on stage with you during a performance. Thus never really having to worry about it. Otherwise, it depends on how much tension, and use, the pedal gets.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
If you're a double kick player, do you find the dominantly used pedal getting sloppier before the secondary?

The auxillary pedal will always feel a bit more stiff because of the linkage, but not enought to really make it a thing. I have an extra spring in my "tool kit" that goes with me to gigs just in case.

force3005

Silver Member
I change mine between 4&5 years. I play Blues some Jazz and fill-in work sometime for rock bands. I purchase Axis HD springs. Two for about $10-12.

bud7h4

Silver Member
I think the end pieces would stretch or break long before the spring actually lost any of it's springiness.

Stroman

Platinum Member
Knock on drums, I've never had to change a spring. I have had other parts of a pedal go bad - the leather strap on my old Rogers broke; threads have stripped out on an old pedal and on a new Yamaha direct drive, and I even broke the beater shaft on an old pedal I can longer recall the make of. The springs have been fine, though.