Pedal recommendations?

Anto

So I'v been using the pedal that came with my kit ever since I bought it, its a Mapex pedal.
I can do stuff most people need to use a double pedal for eg triplets and blast beats on it..
So I'm wondering, is it worth it getting a better pedal?
Im hesitating between the following:
-Iron Cobra
-Pearl Eliminator Demon Drive
-DW 9000
I know there are plenty more, so if you could recommend any other pedals please do so!!
I heard the Iron Cobra was quite heavy, so a bit on the clumsy side, and im looking for a pedal where i can easily swap between heel toe, heel up etc for some technical stuff
The pearl eliminator seemed the best

Of the pedals you mentioned, I think the 9000 is the best and the Iron Cobra (NOT the Speed Cobra BTW) a close second. I recently switched from the Trick to the Taye Metalworks which is a very smooth, fast, and inexpensive pedal. Street price is about $169, definitely the best 'boom' for the buck.

Bermuda

I liked the speed cobras way more than the original IC's but I agree.. the 9000 is THE best pedal on the market. I bought the Demon Drive and yes its amazing but lacks power, the people who dont feel that lack of power play on triggers. If you use triggers this is a solid option. I also tried the Speed Cobra, Awesome feeling pedal and the longboard gives it an advantage. My issue was the distinct difference in feel between the slave and main pedal. The DD converts to a longboard but it is shorter than the Speed Cobra. I've owned Iron Cobras in the past and didnt love them, felt sluggish when compared to other pedals. So I got sick of buying and trading trying to find the perfect pedal. I started looking online to find out which pedals more professionals use. The DW 9000 IS the industry standard and used my more professionals than any other pedal on the market. Does that mean that its right for you? Of course not but it is right for more professionals than any other pedal and that says a lot to me. I play Death Metal and speed is important but so is feel. I also play in a country band so I need a very well rounded pedal that can do it all, The DW 9000 is it. BUT there is another option... The 8002b which is a 5000/9000 hybrid with longboard. I havent played it but man it looks sick.

Well since you are already used to a Mapex pedal, why don't you look at the Mapex Falcon. It is beautifully made, and is very smooth. You can also get the Direct drive option for it, so you have all the drive options covered. I am probably going to pick one up in a couple of weeks.

You simply need to get your feet onto every pedal you can ... play them ... and then buy the pedal that feels best to you.​
Just because one guy likes the DW and that guy likes the Trick and that other guy likes the Axis ... I play a Yamaha Direct Drive .... all those pedals are "good" .... they'll get the job done ... but .... pedals are like shoes and you really need to try 'em out, before you buy.​
When I play a double pedal, I play a Sleishman. How'd did I know I'd like the Sleishman? Because I played one, before I bought one.​

Attachments

• sleishman.jpg
    sleishman.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 1,512
You simply need to get your feet onto every pedal you can ... play them ... and then buy the pedal that feels best to you.​
Just because one guy likes the DW and that guy likes the Trick and that other guy likes the Axis ... I play a Yamaha Direct Drive .... all those pedals are "good" .... they'll get the job done ... but .... pedals are like shoes and you really need to try 'em out, before you buy.​
When I play a double pedal, I play a Sleishman. How'd did I know I'd like the Sleishman? Because I played one, before I bought one.​
Interesting looking pedal Harry. I guess it is the same idea as this.
dso026.jpg

You are dead right about trying them all out first.

So I'v been using the pedal that came with my kit ever since I bought it, its a Mapex pedal.
I can do stuff most people need to use a double pedal for eg triplets and blast beats on it..
So I'm wondering, is it worth it getting a better pedal?
Im hesitating between the following:
-Iron Cobra
-Pearl Eliminator Demon Drive
-DW 9000
I know there are plenty more, so if you could recommend any other pedals please do so!!
I heard the Iron Cobra was quite heavy, so a bit on the clumsy side, and im looking for a pedal where i can easily swap between heel toe, heel up etc for some technical stuff
The pearl eliminator seemed the best

you can't lose with those choices, but instead of the iron cobra try out the Speed Cobra. For me I tried the DW9000, it is a great pedal, I just liked the feel of the Speed Cobra better. Plus it's got a longer foot board, great for heel toe. It's lighter than the Iron cobra, which I also have in a double pedal. As someone else mentioned, try out the Mapex Falcons too.

Interesting looking pedal Harry. I guess it is the same idea as this.
You are dead right about trying them all out first.
Yes indeed, the center pedal. Only 3 manufactures to choose from. That I know of. Pictured here, is the third ..... the Off-Set. I owned those for a while.​
I went back and forth, for 3 days, at a NAMM show one year, between the Sonor and the Off-Set booths, playing the 2 pedals (Sleishman wasn't there). And at the end of 3 days, I decided to take home the Off-Sets.​
Few years later, I finally got my feet on a Sleishman ... and made the jump to them. Certainly, they aren't "everyone's cup of tea" ... but then I'm not so concerned with "everybody" ... just me.​

Attachments

• off-set.jpg
    off-set.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,094
Just got my brand new/used dw 5000 single double chain pedal. My less than 75.00 as new as used can be find!!! Very nice in great order not a scratch on it, still has the sticky labeling on the foot board. Gotta go try it..........................................Doc

Just got my brand new/used dw 5000 single double chain pedal. My less than 75.00 as new as used can be find!!! Very nice in great order not a scratch on it, still has the sticky labeling on the foot board. Gotta go try it..........................................Doc
You will love it Doc. I have three of them.

I guess you need to look at why you're upgrading?

If you can do everything and the one you have, I assume a 710 or a 950? Then you might as well keep it.

I have a Mapex 500, hence why I'm upgrading, likely to a Falcon.

I'm a bit of a Mapex whore.

But yeah, I'd love to play on one of those "beaters in the middle" ones, but I play two bass drums often, so they're never centered haha.

Of the pedals you mentioned, I think the 9000 is the best and the Iron Cobra (NOT the Speed Cobra BTW) a close second. I recently switched from the Trick to the Taye Metalworks which is a very smooth, fast, and inexpensive pedal. Street price is about $169, definitely the best 'boom' for the buck.

Bermuda

And a very nice photo.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-11-24 at 2.39.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-11-24 at 2.39.44 PM.png
    222.3 KB · Views: 650
Has anyone tried the new Mapex P710TW double pedal? They are well built, smooth and come with a double chain, and can be had at around $165 depending on where you look.

I'm using the p700 at the moment, pretty basic pedal, I am not interested in a double bass pedal, I guess i'll just try some pedals out :)

Has anyone tried the new Mapex P710TW double pedal? They are well built, smooth and come with a double chain, and can be had at around $165 depending on where you look.

I'm on the 501TW lol so I'm upgrading soon. Either to the 710, 900 or Falcon. As I said, I'm just a Mapex whore haha.

I've used a variety of double pedals over the years. I started out with a Mapex (can't remember the model) as an entry level, I then moved onto a cheap one for a while after the Mapex broke and then moved onto a Tama Iron Cobra which I sold a few months back.

I now use the Tama Speed Cobras. What i really like about them is the many options and adjustments available to literally control every motion, fluidity and feel. This might not be to everyone's liking as it takes some setting up to get everything perfect. If you like something you can just use out of the box then maybe not for you.

The pedals are also rather long in comparison to other pedals including the standard cobras (not as long as Axis long boards but not far off). I'd say they are the best pedals I've used so far but i'm also pretty partial to the DW 9000 series.

Back