Peavy Radial Pros...how much?

Pimento

So my brother in law just showed me pictures of his PEavy Radial Pro set that he no longer uses....

2 bass drums, 2 mounted toms and a floor tom.

Ive always loved the look of these things but he wants $1500 for the kit...is he out to lunch?

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
So my brother in law just showed me pictures of his PEavy Radial Pro set that he no longer uses....

2 bass drums, 2 mounted toms and a floor tom.

Ive always loved the look of these things but he wants $1500 for the kit...is he out to lunch?

He's your brother in law?

He's not out to lunch... just called in a take out order.

Soupy

Silver Member
As I understand it the Radials were pretty expensive when new. But they weren't terribly in demand or popular, so used demand doesn't remain high. Plus the last remaining warehouse stock of them was blown out at low prices after the product line was discontinued.

So all that conspires to make the used value pretty low. If he can find a buyer for $1500, that's great. I'd bet a more realistic price is under $1000, possibly a bit under.

tard

Gold Member
If they are the 1000 series hes just about spot on, I have seen them go for higher and lower depending on the sizes and condition. My 6 piece was $5500 when new back in 1999 just for the shell pack with no hardware. The snares alone can sell for $300 to $500 used depending on the size and condition as well. RBS1 series can go for more and the 750's and 500's go for less.You wont find anything that comes close to the sound you will get from them for that kind of money, My Yamaha MCA's and Pearl Masters couldnt touch them. BTW it was a dispute between Peavey and the inventor Steven Volpp that ceased production and not lack of sales like people seem to think, they were selling quite well for the 8 years they were built. Also Boogie Woodie is building them again so repairs can easily be done now if need be as well.

If you need more info or want to research it more you can join us at the owners group on facebook. There is over 300 of us there now including the inventor as well as a couple of originally endorsed players and have amassed a lot of info including aftermarket replacement parts as well as Peavey part #'s for the stuff thats still available from them. Plus all the kits that become available from everywhere on the internet usually get posted there as well.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/22647984016/

harryconway

Platinum Member
If they're in great condition, and the high end model (lacquer finish and wood, not plastic, radial bridge, $1500 is not the greatest deal on earth, but it's not bad. Right now, on eBay, there are several kits http://www.ebay.com/itm/PEAVEY-RADIAL-PRO-1000-KIT-TANGERINE-12-14-16-22-MATCHING-SNARE-/251127022431?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7856435f#ht_767wt_952 and some of them have been on eBay for quite a while. When sellers have too high a price, and they're firm on that price, then they gotta play that waiting game. List, and re-list, until that right buyer comes alone. Or drop your price.​
These are some great sounding drums. The unfortunate part, a lot of people think they're just plain ugly. So there's a very small market for them.​

markdrum

Silver Member
I attended a drum clinic a few years back where the clinician was using the top of the line Peaveys and they sounded amazing! I'd never heard a set of drums sing like those did. Sometimes drums don't sound all that musical but those did, in a big way. I can't speak for the monetary value but the ones that I heard that night were fantastic and I've heard a lot of drms over the decades.

tard

Gold Member
If they're in great condition, and the high end model (lacquer finish and wood, not plastic, radial bridge, $1500 is not the greatest deal on earth, but it's not bad. Right now, on eBay, there are several kits http://www.ebay.com/itm/PEAVEY-RADIAL-PRO-1000-KIT-TANGERINE-12-14-16-22-MATCHING-SNARE-/251127022431?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7856435f#ht_767wt_952 and some of them have been on eBay for quite a while. When sellers have too high a price, and they're firm on that price, then they gotta play that waiting game. List, and re-list, until that right buyer comes alone. Or drop your price.​
These are some great sounding drums. The unfortunate part, a lot of people think they're just plain ugly. So there's a very small market for them.​
That tangeine kit belongs to a buddy of mine in Maine and is in very good condition and should sell at that price or close to it, although some of the other kits on ebay are beat up and over priced like Tommy "muggs" Cain's white pearl kit, its beat up from years of touring and no snare, another kit has the bass drum drilled for a tom mount so that needs a new shell cause the thin shells wont support 2 toms so its way over priced, and the other set of RBS1's is missing the snare so its a bit pricy as well, now the cashmere kit could use a paint job because the shipping company damaged it in transit plus it has no snare but the price reflects this and isnt too far off for whats there.

Rule of thumb 500 series $500 to $700, 750 series $750 to $900 and 1000 or rbs1 series $1000 to $1500 for 5 to 6 pieces, anything in pristine cond or with rare sizes like 8 or 18 toms or 12 and 13 snares can pull a lot more,like these: http://vancouver.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-drums-percussion-5-pce-Peavey-Radial-Pro-1000-Drum-Kit-W0QQAdIdZ394508768, the 24" kick and 18" tom plus being in above average condition reflects the price. I got almost $600 for a 750 18" floor tom in gloss black, it was a factory floor tom and an 18" so it was double rare, didnt plan on selling it but it didnt match my kit and the guy who bought it had a complete matching kit so he made an offer and I took it.

BTW there is also a 501 and 751 series that were made in china and are known for glue issues but are usually an easy fix and dont bring the same $$ as the USA manufactured 500 and 750 but they still sound much better than the Peavey international ii series and actually can be bought for about the same money.

Also Boogie Woodie has more orders for new ones than they can fill at this time so the market is much larger than you might think.

Last edited:

Pimento

Ok cool, i will make sure to do some research as to what exactly ill be looking at.

One thing i think is cool is the two bass drums...i got the small idea to build a gong drum out of one of them since i prefer just one, or i could trade it for another floor tom .etc.

Either way, im really interested in them, and i LOVE the look of them. I definitely think theyd be a visual hit on the local scene.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Either way, im really interested in them, and i LOVE the look of them. I definitely think theyd be a visual hit on the local scene.
If you like the look of them, & I can't see how you'd fail to be impressed by their sound, then just snag them :)

harryconway

Platinum Member
If you like the look of them, & I can't see how you'd fail to be impressed by their sound, then just snag them :)
I agree with KIS (I usually do). If you dig 'em, grab 'em up. I remember playing a kit, when they first came out. Awesome sounding drums.​