Pearl vs. DW Drums Which do you prefer?

The Nicotine White Marine Pearl wrap on my Pearl kit has built-in UV protection. Also, it has a slightly brownish tint (hence, "Nicotine"), meant to mimic the smoke-laden, martini-soaked settings from days of yore. If it grows yellow at all, it will look all the more authentic, though I don't anticipate that its hue will undergo drastic changes.

I like wraps on toms and bass drums but prefer stained snare drums. I'm not sure why. Some partialities don't need explanation.

I love DW for their hardware, cable hihat, and I have some wonderful, well-made snare drums that sound as good as anything out there. Come over sometime and check them out!
I love Pearl for their Power Shifter Eliminator bass drum pedals. Absolutely the best pedals I've used! I went from them to DW 5000 Turbos. Big mistake! That overly heavy beater was a no-no, and I just couldn't get comfortable with them no matter what adjustments I made. I've used the Eliminators again since the Summer and I'm excited about getting two new Redline Eliminators this week!

No no ! I just really dislike the DW lugs. With so many choices, I look for things to help me eliminate options, and those funky lugs simply help me cross DW off the list quickly and cleanly, with no further consideration.
Are you talking about DW lugs across all of the lines, including the smaller lugs found on the Performance and Design Series? Have you seen the smaller lugs on the Designs? They're very well received.

Are you talking about DW lugs across all of the lines, including the smaller lugs found on the Performance and Design Series? Have you seen the smaller lugs on the Designs? They're very well received.
No I have not seen them. I only know those round ones.

No I have not seen them. I only know those round ones.

You are really missing out, especially the Maple/Mahogany line. Like a regular Dw on steroids on all facets.

I have to say the best kit I had so far. And that comes from a dedicated Yamaha guy.

I'm pretty sure UV will still fade just about any finish with enough exposure
100%
I have seen nothing that will withstand the CO sun. It fades things faster than anywhere I've ever lived, it's rather impressive actually.

100%
I have seen nothing that will withstand the CO sun. It fades things faster than anywhere I've ever lived, it's rather impressive actually.
Less atmosphere to filter/reduce UV waves.

The only DW product I've ever owned is a DW drum key. The rest of my drumming life, I've always had at least one Pearl drum. They have never let me down. I guess that's another vote for Pearl.

I love drums but I’m partial to DW and Pearl especially. My first set was a used Export and have a Crystal Beat setup currently as well as a DW Jazz Series set. Pearl are consistent and reliable, DW is pretty high end and has some products that standout. I tend to play what I know and growing up in the 90s these were the two brands that stood out to me. I think DW isn’t always justified with their pricing (read: overpriced) and Pearl has a frustrating isolation mount when changing heads, but not a deal breaker for me. Play whatever feels best!

Back