Pearl vs. DW Drums Which do you prefer?

I like the fact that I can use my DW stands with L rods with my DW or Gretsch kits.

I liked my DW tom stands for the same reason. I just wish they weren't so darn heavy. As far as my Pearl kit goes though, I am getting used to using their system again. Cant' say that I don't like the arms themselves. They are very sturdy and I think they look good. I just hate that they aren't compatible with other stuff although one could change that, but it's a lot of trouble and $$$.

...and at this time I am preferring my Pearl kit to my DW.

Last edited:
I liked my DW tom stands for the same reason. I just wish they weren't so darn heavy. As far as my Pearl kit goes though, I am getting used to using their system again. Cant' say that I don't like the arms themselves. They are very sturdy and I think they look good. I just hate that they aren't compatible with other stuff although one could change that, but it's a lot of trouble and $$$.

...and at this time I am preferring my Pearl kit to my DW.

Try the 3000 series tom stands and thank me later

Try the 3000 series tom stands and thank me later

I was using a 3000 and a 9000, that may have been the issue but my hardware bag is so much lighter without the two of them in it. Didn’t help that I was using a much heavier snare stand than I needed also.

I greatly prefer my DW kit over the Pearl kit I used to use. But in all fairness, the Pearl kit was a starter kit loaner and my DW is a brand new Performance series kit that's mounted on a DW rack with series 9000 pedals. I'm sure if I had a Pearl kit of similar specs I'd be very happy with it as well.

Something about Pearl that I have never considered. Back in the 80's, I would go to various music stores and check out kits. I saw many Pearl export kits (entry level) where the wrap was loose and the lugs were the only thing holding it to the drum. Basically big bubble between lugs. The exports just seemed so cheap. Now, I've seen crap Ludwigs back in the day as well, but nothing like the entry level Pearls. Those memories have stuck with me.

Big DW fan here (and not because my all-time favorite drummer, Ronnie Tutt, plays them). The DW's just seem to have a lot more "punch" to them than Pearl. I don't know why that is but, that's one of the reasons I like DW.

I’m surprised this thread is still going.
I'm not. :)

The DW's just seem to have a lot more "punch" to them than Pearl. I don't know why that is but, that's one of the reasons I like DW.

I'm sure it has everything to do with ply orientation, or the fact that John Good hand picked very good trees that day.

Are you using that Mapex Magnetic Field Inducer mount? ?
No and man is that ugly.

I know, right? I mean, what kind of respectable drum company would use such a thing? ;)

noblecooley.jpg

I'm not. :)

I'm sure it has everything to do with ply orientation, or the fact that John Good hand picked very good trees that day.

I know, right? I mean, what kind of respectable drum company would use such a thing? ;)

View attachment 94724
Actually I was speaking of this MAATS floating tom mount, pictured below, that they're using on the design lab kits. Though now that you mention the N&C mount and similar looking Saturn Evo mount, they don't exactly look too sporty to me either. The badge placement looks ridiculous. Hence, my purchase of the on sale Saturn V Exotic kit with the relatively normal, and functional, Soniclear tom mounts. MAATs_banner.jpg

Actually I was speaking of this MAATS floating tom mount, pictured below, that they're using on the design lab kits.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about that thing. My bad.
While I do like machined aluminum parts, and innovation, I agree that they are pretty ugly. It seems like a pretty complicated solution to a minor (if non-existent) problem.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about that thing. My bad.
While I do like machined aluminum parts, and innovation, I agree that they are pretty ugly. It seems like a pretty complicated solution to a minor (if non-existent) problem.
It looks like a parking meter. LOL

I'd have to go with Pearl. They've always been an innovative company. I haven't heard a mid-level and up snare or kit from them that I didn't like. I really loved the early free floaters and the Reference line is great as well. Pearl is definitely a better value. I agree on those tom arms though.

I think both brands make great drums.. But my Pearl Reference is the best kit I have ever played. Some people seem to think they are too loud due to the very thick shells, and yes, they can absolutely be played very loud and project a lot. But all of this is, like mist top-end drums today have a wide variety of tuning options. On my Reference kit I can use any head, use any type of tuning, heads, sticks and beater material to change the sound and feel completely, while still being able to create a fantastic sound.

Many players outside of just pounding music think very thin shells and flanged hoops are a must to sound «authentic».. honestly, most vintage kits just sound bad.

The Reference Pure are also nice as they have a bit thinner shells and are a bit easier to carry to gigs.. but the drums resonates a lot less and the sound dies faster. With the standard Reference you have a ton of options for creating your sound and different sounds. The playing, stick choice, head choice and tuning will create whatever you need if done right.

i only wish I got a 50% off deal(new kit) on another finish than piano black.. zzZzz. Btw.. the Reference snares are the best.. very sensitive, yet powerful. I also have a 14x5 brass Reference snare. Rounded edges. Less attack then ofc, but great for any kind of music.

I think a lot of hipsters these days think Pearl is just Export since they were everywhere at one point. But they have such a wide viraety of kits.

Personally I,m not a fan of wrappings unless vintage kits. I think Pearl could have had more wood finishes in general. I think other companies’ finishes keep many players away from Pearl. Pearl have also focused too much towards metal in promo imo.

I think both brands make great drums.. But my Pearl Reference is the best kit I have ever played. Some people seem to think they are too loud due to the very thick shells, and yes, they can absolutely be played very loud and project a lot. But all of this is, like mist top-end drums today have a wide variety of tuning options. On my Reference kit I can use any head, use any type of tuning, heads, sticks and beater material to change the sound and feel completely, while still being able to create a fantastic sound.

Many players outside of just pounding music think very thin shells and flanged hoops are a must to sound «authentic».. honestly, most vintage kits just sound bad.

The Reference Pure are also nice as they have a bit thinner shells and are a bit easier to carry to gigs.. but the drums resonates a lot less and the sound dies faster. With the standard Reference you have a ton of options for creating your sound and different sounds. The playing, stick choice, head choice and tuning will create whatever you need if done right.

i only wish I got a 50% off deal(new kit) on another finish than piano black.. zzZzz. Btw.. the Reference snares are the best.. very sensitive, yet powerful. I also have a 14x5 brass Reference snare. Rounded edges. Less attack then ofc, but great for any kind of music.

I think a lot of hipsters these days think Pearl is just Export since they were everywhere at one point. But they have such a wide viraety of kits.

Personally I,m not a fan of wrappings unless vintage kits. I think Pearl could have had more wood finishes in general. I think other companies’ finishes keep many players away from Pearl. Pearl have also focused too much towards metal in promo imo.

I agree wholeheartedly and I wish more companies would stop using "wraps" and use actual paint. it seems (to me, at least) that paint would last a bit longer than "wraps" plus, I don't think you'd see as many "dings" in actual paint finishes as you do "wrap" finishes.

I agree wholeheartedly and I wish more companies would stop using "wraps" and use actual paint. it seems (to me, at least) that paint would last a bit longer than "wraps" plus, I don't think you'd see as many "dings" in actual paint finishes as you do "wrap" finishes.
Tbh I only had damages with paint, never with a wrap.

It really is protective, and sometimes great looking.

1635803612201.png

In reality, the opposite is more true. I still think painted or stained finish usually looks better.

Do wraps still yellow from UV light? This type of white finish always yellowed back in the day.
I'm pretty sure UV will still fade just about any finish with enough exposure, but I'm led to believe modern wraps are much more resistant than those of yesteryear.

Back