Pearl vs. DW Drums Which do you prefer?

incrementalg

Gold Member
As much as I disliked the look, I appreciated the extra reach the Pearl tom arms gave. I could easily move a tom forward or backward on the arm by an inch or two. Sometimes that makes a big difference.

LeftyDoug

I like the fact that I can use my DW stands with L rods with my DW or Gretsch kits.
I liked my DW tom stands for the same reason. I just wish they weren't so darn heavy. As far as my Pearl kit goes though, I am getting used to using their system again. Cant' say that I don't like the arms themselves. They are very sturdy and I think they look good. I just hate that they aren't compatible with other stuff although one could change that, but it's a lot of trouble and $$$.

...and at this time I am preferring my Pearl kit to my DW.

Last edited:

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
I liked my DW tom stands for the same reason. I just wish they weren't so darn heavy. As far as my Pearl kit goes though, I am getting used to using their system again. Cant' say that I don't like the arms themselves. They are very sturdy and I think they look good. I just hate that they aren't compatible with other stuff although one could change that, but it's a lot of trouble and $$$.

...and at this time I am preferring my Pearl kit to my DW.
Try the 3000 series tom stands and thank me later

LeftyDoug

Try the 3000 series tom stands and thank me later
I was using a 3000 and a 9000, that may have been the issue but my hardware bag is so much lighter without the two of them in it. Didn’t help that I was using a much heavier snare stand than I needed also.

GCRoberts

I greatly prefer my DW kit over the Pearl kit I used to use. But in all fairness, the Pearl kit was a starter kit loaner and my DW is a brand new Performance series kit that's mounted on a DW rack with series 9000 pedals. I'm sure if I had a Pearl kit of similar specs I'd be very happy with it as well.

DaleClark

Something about Pearl that I have never considered. Back in the 80's, I would go to various music stores and check out kits. I saw many Pearl export kits (entry level) where the wrap was loose and the lugs were the only thing holding it to the drum. Basically big bubble between lugs. The exports just seemed so cheap. Now, I've seen crap Ludwigs back in the day as well, but nothing like the entry level Pearls. Those memories have stuck with me.

Tony Trout

Big DW fan here (and not because my all-time favorite drummer, Ronnie Tutt, plays them). The DW's just seem to have a lot more "punch" to them than Pearl. I don't know why that is but, that's one of the reasons I like DW.

J-W

I’m surprised this thread is still going.
I'm not. :)

The DW's just seem to have a lot more "punch" to them than Pearl. I don't know why that is but, that's one of the reasons I like DW.
I'm sure it has everything to do with ply orientation, or the fact that John Good hand picked very good trees that day.

Are you using that Mapex Magnetic Field Inducer mount? 😂
No and man is that ugly.
I know, right? I mean, what kind of respectable drum company would use such a thing? ;)

noblecooley.jpg

Darth Vater

I'm not. :)

I'm sure it has everything to do with ply orientation, or the fact that John Good hand picked very good trees that day.

I know, right? I mean, what kind of respectable drum company would use such a thing? ;)

View attachment 94724
Actually I was speaking of this MAATS floating tom mount, pictured below, that they're using on the design lab kits. Though now that you mention the N&C mount and similar looking Saturn Evo mount, they don't exactly look too sporty to me either. The badge placement looks ridiculous. Hence, my purchase of the on sale Saturn V Exotic kit with the relatively normal, and functional, Soniclear tom mounts. MAATs_banner.jpg

J-W

Actually I was speaking of this MAATS floating tom mount, pictured below, that they're using on the design lab kits.
Oh yeah, I totally forgot about that thing. My bad.
While I do like machined aluminum parts, and innovation, I agree that they are pretty ugly. It seems like a pretty complicated solution to a minor (if non-existent) problem.

Darth Vater

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about that thing. My bad.
While I do like machined aluminum parts, and innovation, I agree that they are pretty ugly. It seems like a pretty complicated solution to a minor (if non-existent) problem.
It looks like a parking meter. LOL