PEARL SESSION STUDIO SELECT VS PEARL MASTERS MAPLE COMPLETE

Dbol

Anyone play the new Studio Select? If so please share some insite on them. There is no music stores near me to play them. I'm torn between these two. I play at home in a loft w raised cathedral ceilings. Not sure what set will benefit me more. I do not mic my drums or play out besides my house.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
If you’re not playing out, just flip a coin and pick one. The Masters costs more so that’s a consideration. One’s solid maple, the other is birch/mahogany. They’re built about the same - although I think the Masters are a bit more stout (as they should be for the price). Which line has finishes you like better?

WallyY

Platinum Member
It looks like they both have the same metal parts and they both are 6 ply 5.4mm shells.

I like the look of the mahogany interior of the Selects.
I have Pures and the mahogany looks pretty on the inside.
I also play my friend's Completes and I really like the sound of those too.

For just at home, I could favor the Selects because of the 60º edge. It might sound a bit warmer.
I bet they sound really similar.

They both look like they have some nice finishes.

Dbol

Thank you for the info. Always loved Pearl drums. Upgrading my export exl. Was s great beginner kit time to upgrade.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
What will that 60 degree bearing edge differ from a masters maple 45 degree edge?
You will get a much rounder tone because more of the head contacts the shell. 45-degree is like an industry standard and sometimes drums sound 'sharper' with that cut. 60 degree is a good compromise and puts more of the shell into the sound.

Dbol

Is that the BCX? There selling for $1100 on musicians friend right now. Was considering need that extra 14x14 floor tho by the time I get that I'm at $1600 same price as the Masters Maple and Session Studio Select. I wish I had a place I can play any of these 3.

Dbol

All 3 kits are within $100 so it's not the money just what one I will like more not sure. Went to my local guitar center yesterday and played the $3500 DW collector's series all maple. Sounded awful could have been bad tuning but I wouldn't pay $1000 for it them then hopped on a pdp all birch kit. Kit sang. Was amazed maybe I'm just a birch guy. Wish I can play any of those Pearl's videos only do so much. Session studio select, masters maple complete or masters bcx? I guess flip a coin

petrez

Well, the BCX has the Mastercast/Die-Cast hoops compared to the triple flanged, I guess 2.3 mm (?) on the Session and Masters Maple, so in addition to the birch it should have more of a punchy sound, not quite so open as the other two I would guess. I have a BCX kit myself and would recommend it, except for I have had a little trouble with lugs on the bassdrum batter side getting loose after some playing time. Solved the issue with some tape thread on the bolts, the kind that plumbers use on tube connections. Worked out all right, allthough I never had a problem like this on my other high-end kits before, so it is a negative mark in my book. I play high-speed metal though, so I guess not everybody will have this problem. Otherwise, excellent kit for quite little money, too bad they discontinued them so quickly. I do not know how the other two kits sound in comparison though, other than the videos I have seen on the net.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Well, the BCX has the Mastercast/Die-Cast hoops compared to the triple flanged, I guess 2.3 mm (?) on the Session and Masters Maple, so in addition to the birch it should have more of a punchy sound, not quite so open as the other two I would guess. I have a BCX kit myself and would recommend it, except for I have had a little trouble with lugs on the bassdrum batter side getting loose after some playing time. Solved the issue with some tape thread on the bolts, the kind that plumbers use on tube connections. Worked out all right, allthough I never had a problem like this on my other high-end kits before, so it is a negative mark in my book. I play high-speed metal though, so I guess not everybody will have this problem. Otherwise, excellent kit for quite little money, too bad they discontinued them so quickly. I do not know how the other two kits sound in comparison though, other than the videos I have seen on the net.
Have you ever contacted Pearl to see if they would replace the lug nuts? It sounds like some of those lug nuts are machined too finely and allow the tension rod to slip.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
I LOVE that glitter finish/wrap. Beautiful. I'm drawn to the "loud" finishes and wraps and my "main" kit is a scarlet red to black fade over birch which some people get turned off by. Me, I'm a fan of a sweet sparkle, fade, swirl, oyster, whatever!

petrez

Have you ever contacted Pearl to see if they would replace the lug nuts? It sounds like some of those lug nuts are machined too finely and allow the tension rod to slip.
I might do that, I just thought of the idea with the tape since I had some in the house and I remember some other drummer mentioning having used that before on his bassdrum rods that came loose. But it would be nice to do without it so I will contact them and see if they can solve the problem.

WallyY

Platinum Member
Have you listened to the drumcenter.cz demos of the sessions and the Completes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgKdpqxXxkY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6L_xCNn62o

Not that you'll be able to make a decision from these. One set has Remos and the other has Evans. No doubt the heads aren't broken in for each set either.
Of the two, I like the floor tom of the Sessions. I sort of like the Sessions overall.

If I was an adventurous person, I would get the session Studios and put 1.6 FatTone hoops on it. The thinner hoops would give those thin shells a touch more spread.

Or, you could go the other way and get the thicker shell BCX with the cast hoops if you prefer a shorter, focused note.

WallyY

Platinum Member
I've had that issue a couple times with the Reference Pure. The two lugs nearest the pedal got loose. For me it might be because the Pearls can be tuned really low, but I haven't had it happen much with the old Sonors.

petrez

Well, I ordered a second bassdrum and a 13x10" tom for my kit last year, took 6 months of delivery time, got them in October. No idea if they still take them as a special order, I believe the BCX was discontinued in 2016? I would ask a retailer to check it out if it is interesting. I think they might make them up until 3 years after the line is no longer in production... I consider a 18x16" floortom myself, saw a matching one in piano black finish on ebay, but it is in the MCX series. I might survive one of the toms being maple but I am kind of finnicky so I guess I would ask a retailer first, if a BCX order is still possible :p

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Well, I ordered a second bassdrum and a 13x10" tom for my kit last year, took 6 months of delivery time, got them in October. No idea if they still take them as a special order, I believe the BCX was discontinued in 2016? I would ask a retailer to check it out if it is interesting. I think they might make them up until 3 years after the line is no longer in production... I consider a 18x16" floortom myself, saw a matching one in piano black finish on ebay, but it is in the MCX series. I might survive one of the toms being maple but I am kind of finnicky so I guess I would ask a retailer first, if a BCX order is still possible :p
I was told you can still special order a BCX Drum. The issue is how long you’d have to wait. Once you pay the price, you could wait over six months for it.