Pearl session studio classics

Vandalay

I saw a great deal on these online,..10/12/14/20 for $849...my question is about the birch shells, is it true you have to use clear heads on these?..

You don't have to run any sort of heads on any sort of drum for any reason other than whether or not it gives you the sound you want.

I run a jam on Tuesdays where the house kit is a Session Studio Classic, outfitted with coated G2s over Genera Resonants. Those drums sound great.

My Birch Absolutes are currently outfitted with coated Vintage Emperors and they sound incredible, and I'll probably try some coated Ambassadors on them next.

The shells on these are 4 ply Birch and 2 ply of African mahogany. They won't be too bright with the mahagony in there. Just try different head combinations.

I saw a great deal on these online,..10/12/14/20 for $849...my question is about the birch shells, is it true you have to use clear heads on these?..

Well, if you get them and tune them and the clear heads they come with sound great, then maybe you could stick with those for now. But really all a coating does is drop the pitch down because they’re adding mass to the head, and if you like that sound, that’s cool too.

The shells on these are 4 ply Birch and 2 ply of African mahogany. They won't be too bright with the mahagony in there. Just try different head combinations.

Nope.... these are the discontinued Session Classic's. Thicker birch and kapur shells. The new ones are called Session Select.

Nope.... these are the discontinued Session Classic's. Thicker birch and kapur shells. The new ones are called Session Select.

I've seen these side-by-side and I can't discern any huge difference (sorry), but the discontinued ones are a great value when you find them at blow out prices. I saw one vendor on eBay selling a 10/12/16/22 shell pack for $699.

I've seen these side-by-side and I can't discern any huge difference (sorry), but the discontinued ones are a great value when you find them at blow out prices. I saw one vendor on eBay selling a 10/12/16/22 shell pack for $699.

???? The new ones are 2mm thinner and use African Mahogany.

Hey, all I know is that I'm in the market for a new kit, and I'm thinking at $850, these might be a better value than the Ludwig Neusonics or DW frequent flyers I'm considering..

Hey, all I know is that I'm in the market for a new kit, and I'm thinking at $850, these might be a better value than the Ludwig Neusonics or DW frequent flyers I'm considering..

I think those SSC’s are great. The new ones are good too, I just don’t think they’re incredibly new and different as marketing would suggest.

Back