Pearl Sensitone Steel

Dignan

Silver Member
Saw this on my local craigslist. I have a maple snare and I want my next one to either be an acrolite or a Pearl Sensitone. $50 seems like a steal to me assuming the condition is good. Am I right or are these sensitones not that expensive? I've heard good things and like the sound clips I see on youtube.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/msg/4371969081.html

I think they go for around $100 new so half of that for a used one sounds about right. If you like the sound, get it.

I had one and really liked it (long story as to why I still do not have it). $50 is a good price for a good snare. Peace and goodwill.

I have one that I use for band rehearsal and it sounds fine. I have an older one and it cost more than $100 back then it was Pearls inexpensive knock-off of the Ludwig Supraphonic , $50 for any good or desent snare drum is a really good price however it must be in very good condition or forget it.

Most importantly, make sure it has 10 lugs, not 8, the 8 lug is labelled Sensitone, but is a cheaper drum that was issued with Vision kits.

A 'real' 10 lug Sensitone is a great steel drum.

... I have a maple snare and I want my next one to either be an acrolite or a Pearl Sensitone....
]

If you want aluminum - pass this one by.
If you just want a metal drum to go with your maple, I don't think you'll find too much else for $50.
Take a look on ebay and GC's site for used Acrolites. If you want aluminum, I think you'll have to look for an Elite from Pearl.

I don't think that the number of lugs should be the determining factor, the sound should be. I have an 8-lug snare that came with my Stage Custom birch kit. Sounds good with good heads and tuned properly.

I don't think that the number of lugs should be the determining factor, the sound should be. I have an 8-lug snare that came with my Stage Custom birch kit. Sounds good with good heads and tuned properly.

I agree. I've got several 8 lug snares, including a couple Stage Customs.
With just some minor tweaks, they sound just fine.

The deal with the lugs is about the Pearls. They make a Sensitone with 8 lugs, and a Sensitone Elite with 10 lugs.
I haven't heard the 8 lug version.

I agree. I've got several 8 lug snares, including a couple Stage Customs.
With just some minor tweaks, they sound just fine.

The deal with the lugs is about the Pearls. They make a Sensitone with 8 lugs, and a Sensitone Elite with 10 lugs.
I haven't heard the 8 lug version.

There are also material differences in the hops and strainer, and on the one I had, which I bought thinking it was a 'real' sensitone, the edge on the bottom of the drum was horrible.

I really would keep looking.

For example, here's one on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pearl-Sensitone-Snare-Drum-/221397440393?pt=US_Drums&hash=item338c50d789

I think I will keep looking as you guys suggest. A) it isn't really that I NEED it, just want it. B) I think I'd rather get an acrolite and as you suggest, they can be found on CL for pretty cheap from people just trying to get rid of them. Just have to check every day. Thanks for the input.

Back