Pearl Rubber Hi Hat/Cymbal Ridge

DrumRod27

Several years ago I noticed that Pearl had a neat hi hat rubber cymbal cup with 3 small rubber feet cut at about a 45 degree angle so that the bell of the bottom hi hat cymbal would rest in (Pearl Rubber Ridge, p/n NP-208). Bought one and discovered it really helped stabilize the bottom cymbal and actually made the cymbal sound brighter. So, after a year of sitting behind the kit at gigs waiting for something to happen, I thought ‘why not buy another one of those Pearl Hi Hat rubber cups BUT cut the 3 feet off and turn them AROUND so they would fit inside the bell of a ride or crash cymbal?’. Bought another one, CAREFULLY with a razor blade, cut the 3 feet off as flush as I could, and attached them back on. I used auto weather-stripping adhesive (contact cement might be better) and reattached them but BACKWARDS from how they were. Originally the slope faced inward so I reattached them back on with the slope facing OUTWARD. Been using them for about 5 years or so and the weather stripping is still holding and I really like how the cymbals respond now. The cymbals sound brighter so if you like dark sounding cymbals this mod might not be for you. Another side affect is the cymbals swing a little more than with the felts. It took me about 15 minutes at the next gig to get into the ‘swing’ of the cymbals. In the pic the stock part is on the left and the modified one is on the right. Maybe try one for your Hi Hat and one modified for your ride. Then move the one you made for the ride over to a crash for a while and decide if you like this mod or not. Have Fun!!!

DrumRodPearl Rubber Cymbal Ridge.JPG

Back