Pearl Roadshow vs other small kits (for a kid to learn on)

retoxtony

Looking for some advice or your thoughts.

I'm trying to get my kid a small set to learn on and i'm having a bit of trouble deciding which route to go. So far the best deal on a new "real" drumset i can find is a Pearl Roadshow in a jazz setup. 18" BD, 10,14 toms and comes with a hardware pack and some cheap cymbals. Anyone have any experience with this kit compared to other small "jazz sized" kits being setup for a kid to play on? My options for used are pretty limited due to my location but i have found a used Manu Katche kit and a used Catalina Club jazz kit that are in the same price range, though i would need to buy some hardware to complete them and both are a 4hr drive away.

So has anyone setup their kid with a small kit to learn on and maybe serve as a small kit for use in small venues once in a while?

M

Matt Bo Eder

I think in that price point there's nothing else out there unless you go super cheap and get one of the kiddy drum sets that couldn't be used for anything real at all. Sonor and Ludwig make tiny kits too but they cost more due to the fact that there's no hardware. The Roadshow is the only game in town that is ready out of the box, even though the cymbals are substandard. It's good Pearl quality, but not really designed to be toured hard like the upper echelon stuff, but that's not you're doing by it with it anyway. If you put good heads on it and pair it with good cymbals, it's up to the task for a new beginner.

retoxtony

I've been finding the same thing. Not much out there for kits with 18" or smaller bass drums that come as a complete setup. There is the Ludwig JR kit, but that seems a little more toyish. I don't care about the cymbals, i have enough extras here to setup a few kits, but some stands and pedal would be nice.

I was hoping someone here had tried some of the other bop or jazz kits setup for their kids. It would be nice to buy something half decent so if i feel like using a small kit for some of our gigs in small venues i have that option and it will still be good sounding. Not sure how the Roadshow will sound for something like that. And unfortunately trying them out in person isnt really possible.

Superman

Gold Member
One of the members here, Frank, owns a couple of these kits. If he weighs in he will be able to give you some first hand experience. But I know from other posts that he is a fan.

lsits

Gold Member
How is the used market in your area? You might be able to get a used Gretsch Catalina Bop kit with cymbals for about the same price.

retoxtony

How is the used market in your area? You might be able to get a used Gretsch Catalina Bop kit with cymbals for about the same price.

The used market sucks terribly in my area. I live in the middle of the middle of nowhere. Right now there are 2 used Catalina Bop/Jazz kits about 350kms from me. Both are just shell packs and neither guy will drop below $450 Cdn. Those kits are over $1000 new in Canada so thats not too bad. The Gretsch kits come with a 12, 14 toms and i think i'd prefer a 10,14 or 10,13 for a smaller kit. So i'm pretty sure i'll end up with a Pearl Roadshow or maybe a Midtown kit unless i do find something good used, but thats a longshot.

thebarak

The used market sucks terribly in my area. I live in the middle of the middle of nowhere. Right now there are 2 used Catalina Bop/Jazz kits about 350kms from me. Both are just shell packs and neither guy will drop below $450 Cdn. Those kits are over $1000 new in Canada so thats not too bad. The Gretsch kits come with a 12, 14 toms and i think i'd prefer a 10,14 or 10,13 for a smaller kit. So i'm pretty sure i'll end up with a Pearl Roadshow or maybe a Midtown kit unless i do find something good used, but thats a longshot.

Then buy carefully. It will be hard to resell, as it is here on this island. Gear-flipping and upgrading are easy in a major city, but not when you have to ship to sell.