Pearl Rhythm Traveler on a gig!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
OK! Go ahead and critique: Saturday's gig told me the stage was quite small, so I took a chance and brought the Pearl rhythm Traveler out on it's maiden voyage! I positioned the video camera just in front of one of the main speakers and pointed it at me. I put a Shure Beta 52 on the bass drum and fed a little bit of that to the mains. The rest of the kit is unmic'd.

I think the bass drum sounds great, the toms are a little weak and my snare is my brass Sensitone. Not my best performance, but we made it through!

mikyok

Platinum Member
Bass drum sounds great for a 20x8? My mate uses a rhythm traveller all the time on small gigs. He got given it from a school that was throwing it away and he restored it.

Toms are what they are, nothing to worry about, the main bits of the set up are all on point.

It's nice to have a little setup for venues like this.

roncadillac

Drum sound and your playing both fit the music perfectly, well done! I love playing small and/or cheap and/or unusual drums because the other drummers around me can never believe how good they sound with appropriate heads, tuning, and feel.

Side note, ive been stalking this forum for ten years before I joined and was always curious as to the significance of your avatar?

brentcn

Platinum Member
Nice feel and energy, while maintaining an appropriate stage volume! The band sounds like one of those groups that just makes a drummer's life easy.

Yeah, those toms are kind of uninspiring. Maybe they'd speak out if they were tuned up higher? I can't help but wonder how much better they would sound if they had bottom heads and edges...

IBitePrettyHard

Very nice groove! Love that little bass drum.

Didn't you say they wanted you to use a cajon on this gig? It wouldn't have been the same, the energy just wouldn't have been there.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Very nice groove! Love that little bass drum.

Didn't you say they wanted you to use a cajon on this gig? It wouldn't have been the same, the energy just wouldn't have been there.
Not on this one. The acoustic gigs happen in January so that’s what this kit will be for. I think those gigs will be in an even smaller corner 😉

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Nice feel and energy, while maintaining an appropriate stage volume! The band sounds like one of those groups that just makes a drummer's life easy.

Yeah, those toms are kind of uninspiring. Maybe they'd speak out if they were tuned up higher? I can't help but wonder how much better they would sound if they had bottom heads and edges...
On the drive home I contemplated getting snare drum lugs and adding bottom heads. But then a regular 12x8/14x14/20x14 kit crossed my mind too. But then again, a traditional 13x9/16x16/22x14 could’ve been made to fit too.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Drum sound and your playing both fit the music perfectly, well done! I love playing small and/or cheap and/or unusual drums because the other drummers around me can never believe how good they sound with appropriate heads, tuning, and feel.

Side note, ive been stalking this forum for ten years before I joined and was always curious as to the significance of your avatar?
She’s a real friend of mine that has modeled for me a lot when I did a lot of photography. She looks way better than I do.

brentcn

Platinum Member
On the drive home I contemplated getting snare drum lugs and adding bottom heads. But then a regular 12x8/14x14/20x14 kit crossed my mind too. But then again, a traditional 13x9/16x16/22x14 could’ve been made to fit too.
A drummer friend of mine has a C&C kit, 22-12-16, where the bass drum is 22X12. The kick sounds like a nice, punchy 22, and the short depth looks pretty cool, too.

mikyok

Platinum Member
Those gigs will be in an even smaller corner 😉
I use a yamaha dd65 tabletop kit with kick tower and hi hat controller for really small gigs. They have the same soundcard in as the electronic kits. Fits on a snare stand and I plug into the PA.

It also has a hand persussion setting. Had some funny looks when I've rocked up with it but everyone says how good it sounds by the end of the night.

re the traveller, have you though of getting a black export 10" tom and a 14" floor?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I use a yamaha dd65 tabletop kit with kick tower and hi hat controller for really small gigs. They have the same soundcard in as the electronic kits. Fits on a snare stand and I plug into the PA.

It also has a hand persussion setting. Had some funny looks when I've rocked up with it but everyone says how good it sounds by the end of the night.

re the traveller, have you though of getting a black export 10" tom and a 14" floor?
I have a couple of Toms lying around.......

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Come to think of it, these little kits with the shallow toms, are actually more of a hassle transporting than a regular set of drums. Floor toms have their own legs that you can leave on the drum. The Rhythm Traveler I'm carrying two snare stands (one for snare and one for the "floor tom"). Then I'm mounting the cymbal and tom off the bass drum, there's two more metal bits you have to carry around. The geometry of a regular set of drums is just easier to deal with. I like this Rhythm Traveler, but a little Downbeat kit (12/14/20) would also easily fit too, and it would've been easier to move around in terms of keeping track fall the little bits of hardware you had to bring in to make it work.

roncadillac

Come to think of it, these little kits with the shallow toms, are actually more of a hassle transporting than a regular set of drums. Floor toms have their own legs that you can leave on the drum. The Rhythm Traveler I'm carrying two snare stands (one for snare and one for the "floor tom"). Then I'm mounting the cymbal and tom off the bass drum, there's two more metal bits you have to carry around. The geometry of a regular set of drums is just easier to deal with. I like this Rhythm Traveler, but a little Downbeat kit (12/14/20) would also easily fit too, and it would've been easier to move around in terms of keeping track fall the little bits of hardware you had to bring in to make it work.
My obsession with compact and portable kits involved a lengthy stint with a Tama cocktail jam. Dont get me wrong, that thing was built matching the highest end tama drums ive ever seen with fit, finish, and shell quality to match all while sounding surprisingly fantastic especially under a pa. HOWEVER, all those clamps and tubes and mounts combine with birch shells made these drums VERY heavy... Absurdly so. I would need help moving it all set up when my 18" club jam bass drum or 16" Breakbeats bass drum could bounce in one hand like a basketball. Not taking into account all the fast clamps either. I ultimately went back to more traditional types of drums in smaller sizes with less hardware.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Proportionally it looks good Bo. It doesn't make you look small, and you don't make it look huge. You look more comfortable to me.

Those toms gotta go though, I agree they sound weak. The kick wasn't too bad, sounded bigger than I expected.

roncadillac

Why not use the tiny kick (and it's extremely versatile pearl double tom mount!) And swap for different toms? Or skip the mounted tom entirely and just use a short stack floor tom?