Pearl or DW?

Nitemare

Hey everyone!

If you were offered a custom kit and endorsement deal by Pearl or DW, which would you choose? Just curious.

-shaun

Pearl ... for sure. Only because, I know a lot of guys playing DW ... I don't know anybody playing a top-of-the-line Pearl kit.​

Whichever sounded better for the music I play, has more dependable hardware with features I like and none I don't like, in a finish I like, and whose total commitment to drummers, drumming, and artists would complement what I see myself doing (clinics, tours, demos in stores, etc.) Endorsements should be for products you believe in and use because they fit your needs, in my opinion.

Whichever sounded better for the music I play, has more dependable hardware with features I like and none I don't like, in a finish I like, and whose total commitment to drummers, drumming, and artists would complement what I see myself doing (clinics, tours, demos in stores, etc.) Endorsements should be for products you believe in and use because they fit your needs, in my opinion.

this is an OPINION question, your opinion. i'm not asking for advice.

If you're asking for my opinion between the two, probably DW solely because I don't care for Pearl's L-Arms. If the choice were expanded to other brands, I'd probably choose a third brand. I'm incredibly happy with my Yamahas.

If you're asking for my opinion between the two, probably DW solely because I don't care for Pearl's L-Arms. If the choice were expanded to other brands, I'd probably choose a third brand. I'm incredibly happy with my Yamahas.

Oooooo, good point, i ADORE Yamaha.

DW sure has been the dominant manufacture as of late but if given the opportunity to choose I might pick Pearl. The Masters Custom are built any way you want from number of plies, thickness, type of wood or multiple types of wood, bearing edges, hoops and finish. I believe the Reference series was based on research from the Masters Custom line. In theory you could build a kit to sound like a Ludwig Legacy or a DW VLT.

For me it would be DW. Now like alparrot said if that third brand that starts with a Y was in there ooooh that would be a hard choice then.

I would have to agree with alparrot's statement, but since you want an opinion only.I would go with DW - they are much more innovative than Pearl these days. They have lot's of shell options and they always seem to be thinking outside of the box.Pearl used to be that way , but just haven't been innovative the last few years IMHO. I also find the aesthetic look of Pearl to be generic looking.

As you can probably tell from my avatar I am a DW kind of guy all the way but I sure could be happy with kit like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8qL3vDwMBQ.

As for innovation, DW has nothing like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfztn6L-exo

I think DW has the edge (pun intended) when it come to different snares but for available options on kits, Pearl wins out. I don't know how anyone could say they don't like the sound of Pearl drums in general with so many options available. http://www.pearldrum.com/Products/Drumsets/Masterworks.aspx

Plus Pearl drums will make you play like this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B5o2CQp2CI&feature=related

Last edited:
pearl all the way, beacause you can choose the wood of each ply of the drum, and what type of bearing edge.

Pearl has been striking out with their latest "innovations" their eDrum kit is an unmitigated disaster. How many have you seen on your local shops ? It was also a stupid idea- one of the major selling points of electronic kits is their portability and lighwwieight and smaller foot print.The original Reference series was also a mistake- thick shell drum set when everyone in the industry was going with thinner more resonant drums.Why do you think they had to scramble to make the Reference Pure series ? Their Demon Drive has not been the success they believe it would be either.

Question for the people that chose Pearl in this opinion poll,how many of you had a Pearl Export for your first set ? This has also been the true secret to Pearl's success- they get kids to buy their first set and then get them to move up in lines.

The key to most drum companies success is their mid to entry level kits. I think DW was smart to dump the Platinum series which was getting it's ass handed to them by the likes of Starclassic BB, Mapex Saturn, Pearl MCX, ect. You may have noticed Yamaha and Ludwig's new offerings at a better price point. The truth is drum companies sell very few top of the line kits. Of course pro endorsements are another subject. As for thinner drums, I am not so sure DW falls into that camp.

I had a chance to talk with a Mapex rep recently who says they are discontinuing the Orion series and focusing on kits under $1500. The truly top of the line will be limited editions in limited quantities because they sell so few.

I am not trying to argue that Pearl markets their drums better than DW, they clearly do not. I am just saying Pearl's quality and sound are up their with anyone.

Last edited:
In my opinion, neither. But if push came to shove, it would have to be DW. Pearl is not doing as well lately, in fact a Five Star shop I frequent showed them the door and started selling Mapex drums and upped their inventory of Ludwig high end drums to fill in the gap.

Dennis

Pearl has been striking out with their latest "innovations" their eDrum kit is an unmitigated disaster. How many have you seen on your local shops ? It was also a stupid idea- one of the major selling points of electronic kits is their portability and lighwwieight and smaller foot print.

LOL....that E-Kit from Pearl is a joke, played it at GC a few times, the Yamaha DT EXplorer for $600.00 is the smart buy.

Regarding the topic, my opinion on which I would choose now would probably be DW since they are in the US where I reside and would be much easier to visit their factory and have a face to face relationship that might make it easier to cater to my own custom tastes and also make it a more personal experience.

So really it has nothing to do with which drum manufacturer I think would sound better, once you get that high up in quality either one will sound fantastic I'm sure.

Also...if I were that good to get a custom kit endorsement from Pearl or DW I'm guessing I'd be able to groove and make 5 gallon buckets sound acceptable, hehehe.

"The days of drums being made out of one type of wood are over". Sorry, not getting that one bit, & marketing hype aside, not picking up the stated sonic benefits either. Maybe it's the recordings.

I think it is the recordings.. and Dennis Chambers little remark was somewhat far-fetched.. and should never of been stated IMO.

I remember Juan Bueno also saying a bunch of stuff in the earlier days of dw about maple is the best and "cross frequencies" from mixing woods.. and that has since been swept under the rug.

Having owned 2 DW Collectors Maple kits and currently owning a Pearl SMX, it would be Pearl for me, hands down. Great drums, great folks, super solid all the way around. That being said, if you replaced the DW's with Yamaha's, I think I'd take the Yammies.

Back