Pearl Masterworks

MaxZed

So I got a pretty good idea on how different companies build their drums. But I was wondering what makes a Pearl Masterworks "So Good"? I love the sound from them and am not saying that they are bad drums but I was just wondering what is done "right" with those drums?

Thanks!

RickP

Gold Member
Bespoke drums, where you have the option of shell configuration, hardware appointments and exotic finishes.

Pearl was one of the first to have a line like this but the only one where you can determine the shell ply layup.

Other high end flagship models

Yamaha PHX - you can only choose finish and hardware color. Only one exotic veneer option

Tama Star - three wood shell options, multiple finish options, a couple exotic veneers

Sonor SQ2 - multiple shell wood options and thicknesses, hardware options and many finish options.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
So I got a pretty good idea on how different companies build their drums. But I was wondering what makes a Pearl Masterworks "So Good"? I love the sound from them and am not saying that they are bad drums but I was just wondering what is done "right" with those drums?

Thanks!
Which Masterworks sound do you love? There are myriad options to every Masterworks kit, so how do you know which one you heard?

I love that you have a company willing to do whatever you want, but there’s no way of knowing what your kit will sound like until you’ve picked everything, paid your money and waited six months to get it. And then what if you don’t like it?

The reason Reference Pure was created was because Pearl noticed that people were getting the same stuff in the shell department, so they created a line out of those. And now with the Music City Custom RF and RFP, you can spend less and get it in two weeks.

But if you decide to go full exotic for your Masterworks, you have no reference and won’t know what you’re getting until you get them.

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
Bespoke drums, where you have the option of shell configuration, hardware appointments and exotic finishes.

Pearl was one of the first to have a line like this but the only one where you can determine the shell ply layup.

Other high end flagship models

Yamaha PHX - you can only choose finish and hardware color. Only one exotic veneer option

Tama Star - three wood shell options, multiple finish options, a couple exotic veneers

Sonor SQ2 - multiple shell wood options and thicknesses, hardware options and many finish options.
Regarding the PHX, You do have a plethora of finish options (most of any Yamaha line still at the moment) and actually tree vineer options (laquered, textured and natural/matte)

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ac/ab/07/acab07c819498f9a858380547b2be1af.jpg

Its really Yamaha, nothing fancy because others are better in that, but they do deliver a solid sound and unbeatable hardware quality.