Pearl Masters MRX

T

thatguykalem

Basically, I've gone back to the brand I was originally going to buy several years ago: Pearl. At the level that myself and my brother are at, I figured that the Pearl Masters kit would suit us both perfectly. Actually selecting a Masters kit is quite difficult, however. I really don't know the difference between the MRX, MCX, etc., so I have a few questions:

1. What are the differences?
2. Which would be the best for punk/metal/rock/alternative drumming?
3. How good are the Masters kits, overall?
4. Is a brand new MRX kit worth its $2,849 AUS price tag? ($2,660 US, 1,716 Pounds)?

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Pearl Drums - Pearl Masters Custom MRX Drum Sets

As of January 1st, 2007 Pearl has switched all Masters MRX Studio drums to the Masters Premium series. Pearl is still able to make the MRX series but are available by special order only. Special orders require 4-6 months for delivery. For MRX pricing and special offers, please give us a call at 888-805-8004 with any questions

I'm not sure if that helps but there is nothing on the Pearl website.

Blk Diamond

Hey Thatguykalem,

Gruntersdad is right.
Pearl discontinued the Masters Custom Extra MRX here in the U.S. back in 2007. What happened was that Pearl revamped the whole Masters line into two versions, Masters Premium and Masters MCX. In 2010 Pearl decided to make the Masters Premium a somewhat secret special order item with a 4 to 6 months wait here in the States. If you didn't know to ask for it you wouldn't find any evidence that they still existed. Pearl removed the Masters Premium from both their website and their 2010 catalog. However, I have heard that the Masters Premium line is still advertised and sold in other parts of the world, as though nothing has changed. (Is this true in Australia?)

So, having read through that very confusing Pearl history lesson, lets talk about the drums in question.

The MRX you are interested in, if they truly are the old "square badge" model, are 6 ply maple. They are the equivalent to todays Masters Premium, except for a few minor changes. The Masters Premium have the new aluminum Optimount tom holders, "Golden Ratio" air vents, and a new model of bass drum legs/spurs. Those are also some of the main differences between the Masters Premium and the MCX.

However, the MRX and the Masters Premium share the same inner shell sealant and finishing process. The MCX uses a slightly lesser process with a limited number of available finishes and wraps. For these reasons the MCX is the more readily available and lesser priced model in the States.

That should cover the differences between the two. As far as the quality of the Masters Custom Extra MRX they are worth every dollar. If you have a chance to own an MRX I would recommend that you do it. Especially if they are being sold for less than the price of a MCX kit. I'm primarily a rock drummer, so I know that either kit would more than cover the different styles of music that you listed.

Sorry for the long post, but this can be a very confusing topic. If you have any more questions about the MRX or MCX feel free to ask. Having owned a MRX for a bunch of years, I am always willing to spread the word.

Last edited:
T

thatguykalem

Manged to find some info on the MRX on the Pearl Europe website. I think I might wait until the shop gets another shipment of MCXs.

Blk Diamond

Like I said, you can't go wrong with either kit. Just a few follow up questions for my curiosity, if you will.

1) Was the kit you were looking at the shop an actual MRX or was it a newer MRP?

2) If it was an actual MRX, was it an used kit? Or, has it been sitting at the shop unsold for a bunch of years?

3) What were the sizes and color of the MRX kit? Did it have a matching snare?

4) Last question. What configuration and color would you order a new MCX kit in?

Thanks for sharing. It's always great to hear from fellow drummers that are interested in Pearl.

T

thatguykalem

Like I said, you can't go wrong with either kit. Just a few follow up questions for my curiosity, if you will.

1) Was the kit you were looking at the shop an actual MRX or was it a newer MRP?

2) If it was an actual MRX, was it an used kit? Or, has it been sitting at the shop unsold for a bunch of years?

3) What were the sizes and color of the MRX kit? Did it have a matching snare?

4) Last question. What configuration and color would you order a new MCX kit in?
1. It was an MRX. I can confirm that. Especially after the guy in the shop said "This is a Pearl Masters MRX."

2. It's a mint kit. Never been used.

3. 10", 12", 14", 22". No snare, but I planned to buy a Pearl Sensitone Steel seperately.

4. If I was ordering the kit, I'd probably get 10", 13", 16", 22" setup. I'm not entirely sure which finishes are available for the MRX, so I'll assume they are the same as the MCX. So, 'Chestnut Fade'.

If you're referring to what I would buy from the shop, I don't have any options. It's a 10, 12, 14, 22 setup, and I don't have the choice to change it. It's in a 'Chestnut Fade' finish.

Blk Diamond

Very cool Kalem,

Thanks for answering my questions.

After learning more about your situation, I agree with your decision to wait for a MCX. For the money that you're going to spend, you and your brother should order the exact sizes and color that you want. Believe me, I feel bad that you drummers in Australia are charged so much more for the same gear. Had the MRX matched your desired specs exactly I would have said go for it. However, for the money, you need to order the exact the specs you want.

The reason I was asking about the MRX, is that I have yet to run into a non used mint one just sitting at a shop around here. Since I own a MRX, I always keep my eye out for them at my local shops. It's kind of like getting a new car. As soon as you own one, you start to take notice every time you see another one just like it out on the road. By the way, the MRX came in the same finishes that the Masters Premium MRP line uses today.

Once again, thanks for answering my questions. Good luck to you and your brother. Remember, if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Last edited:
T

thatguykalem

A Reference kit for under $2K?

Ooooh

Ahhhhh
Ooh. Looks hawt. Again, though, the only thing that bothers me are the sizes. A 22" bass is cool, and the mounted toms are fine, but I'd prefer a 16" floor tom. Then again, it's a huge bargain, so a compromise would be fair...

Hmm...