Pearl Maple Drumset and Snare ID Question

FlamFlamMan

Hey,

I'm hoping some of the pearl experts or older folks on the forum can help shed some light on what I have.

I have recently acquired an older Pearl drum set (70s or 80s I think). The badges just say Pearl and a serial number. There are secondary badges that say maple shell. I only have pictures of the snare right now but it matches the set.

Sizes are: 24x14" Bass, 14x10, 15x12 Rack Toms, 16x15, 18x16 Floor Toms, and 14x6.5 snare.

I'm not sure if I want to keep them yet, so if anyone has a rough idea of what I could get for them that would be appreciated.

Also, I'm missing one lug off the snare drum if anyone knows where I can get a replacement.

Here are pictures of the snare (Click for Bigger Pictures):

Thanks

Last edited:

Terrence R

Silver Member
It might be a Pearl MLX kit. They were big before the Masters series came on the market. MLX was the maple shells, but they also made BLX which was birch.

bigiainw

Gold Member
It might be a Pearl MLX kit. They were big before the Masters series came on the market. MLX was the maple shells, but they also made BLX which was birch.
This looks more like the double ended version of the export or even maxwin series lug that was used before the introduction of the MLX/BLX range. I wouldn't have thought finding a replacement lug would be very difficult, but as to what range these come form, I'm at a bit of a loss.

These look very simiar
http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/pearl_drumsets_1970-2.htm

Last edited:

FlamFlamMan

I suppose it could be a MX kit because MLX and BLX are both lacquered drums and these are wrapped. But, I think they are older than those lines. The lugs look very similar to the ones in the 1974 catalog you posted, bigiainw.

I'll try to post up some pictures of the full set tonight.

FlamFlamMan

Hi everyone,
I updated the first post with relevant information, and here are some pictures of the full set.

Here you can see the full shell pack. I'm not sure but I suspect the bass spurs are new additions as they seem awfully nice compared to everything else. You can also see the original lugs and a couple that were replaced with mismatches.

Does anyone have a better idea of what year these are from?

bigiainw

Gold Member
I suppose it could be a MX kit because MLX and BLX are both lacquered drums and these are wrapped. But, I think they are older than those lines. The lugs look very similar to the ones in the 1974 catalog you posted, bigiainw.

I'll try to post up some pictures of the full set tonight.
If you focus in on the picture with the snares in, the 3rd from the left has the same throw off and you can see the same maple shell style badge (too small to read what is actually on it).

The same site puts the badges on the kit at 1980-1983.

Last edited: